Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Error 99 - Canon 20D

TeresaH 16 1.1k United Kingdom
17 Aug 2005 11:20AM
I keep getting this error using my Canon macro 100mm lens, mainly when I'm on aperture priority mode.

Anyone else have these problems? I have to take the battery out to get it going again.

I bought the camera March time.

Thanks in advance
Teresa.
chris.maddock 20 3.7k United Kingdom
17 Aug 2005 11:38AM
Have you tried cleaning the contacts - both on the lens and in the camera?

Does it definitely only happen with that one lens?

KRs
Chris
elowes 17 2.8k United Kingdom
17 Aug 2005 11:48AM
Had it recently with a Sigma zoom. Turned the camera off and on again and turned the lens a little, the problem went away. I suspect dirt on the contacts.
17 Aug 2005 11:51AM
I have been using the 100mm a lot recently so I can't say for sure if it happens on my other Canon lens.

Where are the contacts?
17 Aug 2005 12:09PM
The little brassy squares on the bottom of the lens rear face, and the silvery spring-loaded "pins" in the base of the lens mount on the camera. A pencil eraser is good for cleaning them.

HTH
Chris
17 Aug 2005 12:26PM
Thanks Chris, wonder why this is happening though.
17 Aug 2005 12:33PM
If the contacts aren't clean, when the camera tries to communicate with the lens it either doesn't get any response or doesn't get the response it expects. If that happens it flags up the error.
If it's not dirty contacts it could be one of many other things - I don't think Canon use several error messages any more to indicate where the problem is but just give one general error.
The old D30 was good from this point of view as it could report about a dozen different messages and the user could get an idea of what was wrong. Error99 on that one was the catch-all for if the problem wasn't one of the other errors.

KRs
Chris
fez 17 262
17 Aug 2005 12:49PM
there are a few errors.

1 is lense and camera communication errors

2 if cf card error

4 is cf card full

5 something not allowing popupflash to popup

99 is something other than these.

iirc this applies to all cannons at least since the 20d.

and im not stupid, i think they really just didnt want to have an err 3
pj.morley 18 947 United Kingdom
17 Aug 2005 1:41PM
Doesn't the number 3 have some significance in Japan. I'm sure I read somewhere before that number 3 to the Japanese is the equivalent of 13 to us.... but 1,000 times more so
17 Aug 2005 1:42PM
double post
17 Aug 2005 1:45PM
Nope.. I got it wrong..

In fact it's numbers 4 and 9 that are unlucky in Japan.. Just coincidence that they happen to add up to 13 .

"The Japanese don't like the number 4 and 9 because of their pronunciation. Four is pronounced "shi" which is the same pronunciation as death. Nine is pronounced "ku" which has the same pronunciation as agony or torture."
18 Aug 2005 12:17AM
Thanks, why would the contacts need cleaning? I always take care with the camera. Error 99 relates to if you are not using a Canon lens, and I am using Canon.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
18 Aug 2005 12:20AM
No Err99 is a general catch all error code. It often relates to lens problems. If the lens fails to respond correctly the error code is generated. For example if the camera tells it to stop down and it does not then you get that code. So as it is lens specific problem either your lens, or the connections to it have a problem.

Faulty Canon lenses generate this code too.
18 Aug 2005 12:27AM
Oh I see. That's not good, I've only had it since March. Do I need to send the lens/camera back?
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
18 Aug 2005 12:43AM
First do as Chris says and clean the contacts. If the problem does not go away do some test shots with other lenses. If the other lenses are ok I would contact the place you bought it from for their advice, and probably return the lens. If its there with all lenses then its time for the camera to go back.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.