Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Ticket discount with EZPTPS18 for The Photography Show 2018

Error 99 - Canon 400D

colin Plus
13 697 5 Scotland
2 May 2007 9:31PM
I was out taking a few shots today and experienced Error Code 99 on my Canon 400D. This has never happened before and I'm at a complete loss as to what's caused it. Does anyone know is this down to the contacts needing cleaned, or is something more sinister? The camera is only about 5 months old with less than 3000 shutter activations.
Help!!!!
Colin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dougv Plus
14 8.4k 3 England
2 May 2007 9:34PM
A forum search found these results for Error 99 .
keithh Plus
14 25.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
2 May 2007 9:36PM
Error 99 is a generic code in that it can refer to a good many things. It can appear for no apparent reason and a quick re-boot often solves it. Error 99 also refers to communication problems between lens and camera, so worth cleaning the contacts...you can't lose anything in doing so.
colin Plus
13 697 5 Scotland
2 May 2007 10:08PM
Cheers Doug and Keith. I did search, but put Canon Error 99 which drew a blank!
Thanks for the prompt response.
Colin
Little Jo Plus
16 2.3k United Kingdom
2 May 2007 10:21PM
Don't panic Colin. As has already been said, it's a generic error message.

1. Take your battery out and reinsert it - this will clear it.
2. Clean your lens contacts carefully with a plastic pencil eraser. Sometimes corroded contacts can cause errors like this.
3. Try the camera with different lenses - if it is occuring with several lenses, it may point more strongkly to a camera fault.
4. Make sure you have the latest firmware installed.

Jo
strawman Plus
14 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
2 May 2007 11:23PM
Did you swap lenses while your camera was writing to the flash memory card. On my camera swaping lenses, even when the power switch is off, can cause this.

The other tips look good.
twistor Plus
14 80 United Kingdom
3 May 2007 10:29AM
I had an err99 on my 350d. Turned out to be a faulty shutter and had to be returned. Bit of a pain as I had only had it a short time. Once repaired worked like a dream.
Jogy Plus
10 2
6 May 2007 12:35PM
Hi I don't have your camera but I had the Error 99 before on my SLR camera and by chance I found a thread in a tech support site that explain how to fix this problem. Here is the thread how to fix Error 99

Good luck

jogy
strawman Plus
14 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
6 May 2007 12:39PM
That is the solution mentioned by Keith a bit higher up.
hey i had the same problem i emailed canon and they sent this in reply.

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding your Canon product.

Please be advised that error 99 usually indicates that there is an incompatibility with a third party accessory (lens, flash or card). If you experience this issue with 2 Canon lenses and with 2 different memory cards that may indicate a fault with the camera itself.

As the camera is brand new, unfortunately you should contact your dealer in order to check his refund/replacement policy.

We are sorry for the inconvenience"

i haev since emailed back asking if i can just replace the card or if for some reason i need to replace the camera.

is this helpful?
cambirder Plus
14 7.2k England
13 Jun 2008 5:00PM

Quote:i haev since emailed back asking if i can just replace the card or if for some reason i need to replace the camera.

They are not going to be able to tell you, you need to do a bit of testing (as per Jo's post) to locate the problem. Not so easy if you only have one lens and one memory card.
14 Jun 2008 10:27AM

Quote:, you need to do a bit of testing (as per Jo's post) to locate the problem. Not so easy if you only have one lens and one memory card.

Man that sucks. i have since contacted my retailer to ask for a refund or replacement policy. before they reply i'm going to go to a shop and try to try some lenses or memory cards.

unfortunately i'm currently living in Serbia and dont speak to language that well! this should be fun!
cambirder Plus
14 7.2k England
14 Jun 2008 11:37AM
Wallace, have you tried cleaning the lens contacts?

Just buy another memory card, one is never enough and they are very cheap.
TEASE Plus
11 10 England
6 May 2009 6:13PM
The solution is a simple one! while the camera is off press down the shutter button and switch it on at the same time this will overide the error and you should be able to use the camera until it can be repaired or fixed.
justin c Plus
14 4.9k 36 England
6 May 2009 7:03PM
Hopefully he may have fixed it by now. The thread is two years old.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.