Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Exclusive 25% off Affinity Photo: Professional photo editing with no subscription!

Establish Next File Number of Picture on New Camera

fastoy 4 6
12 Jun 2014 4:16AM
I had a Lumix DMC-ZS7 that was my main camera for several years. It finally died (wouldn't recognize the SD card) and I replaced it with a DMC-ZS30.

I would like for the pictures that I take with the ZS30 to resume with the next file number that would have been generated by the ZS7. I can accept a nominal gap or overlap.

Suggestions?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bainsybike 8 328 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2014 7:18AM
Try using the SD card last used by the ZS7, without formatting it first.
fastoy 4 6
12 Jun 2014 3:05PM

Quote:Try using the SD card last used by the ZS7, without formatting it first.

I tried that. Sorry. Should have mentioned that.

I can see all the old pictures and videos but the ZS30 started over at P1000001.JPG in folder 100_PANA.
zs30.jpg

Jestertheclown 9 7.7k 252 England
12 Jun 2014 4:52PM

Quote:Try using the SD card last used by the ZS7, without formatting it first.

The file numbers are generated and saved sequentially by the camera. The card simply transfers them to somewhere else.
What you're trying to do is effectively to alter the number of images that the camera's taken and for obvious reasons, manufacturers don't want you to be able to.
Would you buy a used car if you thought that it had been given a haircut (clocked)?

Apart from all of which; does it really matter . . . ?
fastoy 4 6
12 Jun 2014 7:17PM

Quote:Apart from all of which; does it really matter . . . ?

I maintain a folder with all of my original photo files in it. Duplicate file names, e.g. two files named P1000001.JPG, are problematic. Obviously there are ways to manage these but continuing the sequence from the ZS7 would be the simplest.

With the ZS7 I was able to "trick" the file naming sequence for videos. On the ZS7 if you accidentally deleted the last video file, the next video you recorded was named 00000.MTS. I found that if I renamed 00000.MTS to 00402.MTS (for example as the previous video I had recorded) that the subsequent video was named 00403.MTS. The ZS7 complained about 00402.MTS not being readable (probably something cached somewhere) but with this kludgy technique I was able to reestablish the numbering sequence for videos.

Pictures seem different as they are in sequential folders as well as sequential file names.
JJGEE 13 7.2k 18 England
12 Jun 2014 7:31PM

Quote:two files named P1000001.JPG, are problematic

That is why it is good practice to rename the files with a customised name.

Mine are

date_location_sequential number
20140603_rochester_001
fastoy 4 6
12 Jun 2014 9:28PM

Quote:That is why it is good practice to rename the files with a customised name.

That's a good idea. Do you have a tool to do that? I'm on Windows.
12 Jun 2014 9:53PM

Quote:That's a good idea. Do you have a tool to do that? I'm on Windows.

I'm not aware of a specific tool, you can rename files and folders at any time but I always rename my files as I export them from Lightroom.

I give the folder they're going into the same name as the files but be aware that I never use the cataloguing/filing part of Lightroom. My images are stored the old way; in named folders in "My pictures" in "Documents."
bainsybike 8 328 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2014 11:26PM

Quote:That's a good idea. Do you have a tool to do that? I'm on Windows

I use this to rename multiple files. Works very well.
KevinandSeri 4 327 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2014 11:35PM
Google Picasa, a free download will rename files en masse for you: it's very easy to use.
fastoy 4 6
13 Jun 2014 5:25AM
Ok, I got it to do what I wanted.

I formatted the SD card and reset the numbering of the files and folders. Then I took a couple of pictures. I put the SD card in my laptop. I renamed the highest numbered file to P1010998. I put the SD card back in the laptop and took 4 pictures (to make the sequence number wrap 999 and hence create the next sequential folder. I repeated this until I created the folder sequence number that I wanted. Then I put the SD card back in the laptop and renamed the highest numbered file to P1050320 (my target was P1050323.JPG. I put the SD card back in the camera and took a couple of pictures to get the sequence number to where I wanted it. Then I used the camera to delete all the pictures I had created UP TO P1050323.JPG.

Incidentally, I'm shooting videos in MP4 format. The MP4 files are in the same folders and use the same sequence numbers as JPG pictures.

Your mileage may vary.
13 Jun 2014 8:20AM
I didn't really understand a word of that!

Are you saying that the images that you take from now on will be numbered from something other than the number assigned to them by the camera?

In other words, you've beaten the camera's numbering function?
JJGEE 13 7.2k 18 England
13 Jun 2014 8:55AM

Quote:That's a good idea. Do you have a tool to do that? I'm on Windows.

It is a tool / feature in Lightroom.
Railcam 11 678 2 Scotland
13 Jun 2014 10:20AM

Quote:I never use the cataloguing/filing part of Lightroom.

I feel you are missing a very powerful trick by not using Lightroom's filing system.

I suggest you watch the following free tutorials which should explain it all.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/getting-started-with-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-5/lightroom-5-organizing-your-images/

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-complete-picture-with-julieanne-kost/how-and-when-to-rename-files-in-lightroom-4/

The short-cut to the File Renaming menu is "F2"

Happy reading

Keith
13 Jun 2014 1:30PM

Quote:I feel you are missing a very powerful trick by not using Lightroom's filing system.

Horses for courses Keith.

I've been using Lightroom since V2 and try as I might, I just can't see that Lightroom's filing system is any better than the system I'm using now and in fact, have always used.
I simply save my raw files from the SD card to a folder in Documents named, not very originally, Nef.
I then open them, from that folder, into Lightroom; by this time the SD card's been removed. I do what needs doing, then export them, renaming them in the process, as Tiffs to a new folder, which will have the same name as the files, then I open them from there in CS6.
Once I'm finished with them there, they're saved either as the (now edited) Tiffs. or, more likely, as Jpegs.
Any Lightroom catalogues that are generated are saved by default into another folder and get deleted whenever it occurs to me to do so.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.