EU Copyright Legislation

HUFC 7 1.0k United Kingdom
26 Jun 2015 8:09PM
Will They Take Google To Court With Their Earth,Maps & Street Views
Chris_L 6 5.5k United Kingdom
27 Jun 2015 9:47AM
That would be up to you and anyone who feels photographs of their design were being commercially exploited..

I imagine that the likes of Antony Gormley wouldn't be concerned about Google Earth but people peddling rip-off price postcards of one of his sculptures may be told to stop.
Tallmanirl 6 267 Ireland
3 Jul 2015 2:42PM
Hi guys!
I got on to all our Ireland West MEPs. They are all opposing it but I thought I'd include this reply.

Thank you for your email in regard to the debate and vote on copyrights in the European Parliament next week. First of all, let me say, I do not support the proposal which restricts freedom of panorama and I will vote against it and I will also ask my group to do so. It is important however that you know the Report we will be voting on is not legislative (in other words it will have no legislative effect whatsoever).

This Report is an Own Initiative Report - which means it's simply the opinion of the Parliament. The EU Commission may bring forward some legislative proposals on the copyright issue and if there was an opinion from the Parliament withdrawing freedom of panorama that might have an impact on their proposal and would if you like, set a context in the Parliament. Therefore, it is very important to defeat this amendment but it is still very important that one way or the other it will have no impact in law.

As a follow on, just to let you know, that an agreement has been reached between groups including my own group, ALDE, to delete the paragraph on freedom of panorama.

Thank you again for your email.

Kind regards,
Marian Harkin
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
3 Jul 2015 2:49PM
That is good to hear, not only to understand the EU process (which at the best of times can be somewhat murky) but also how they are responding to sensible opinion.

I wonder if we can get them to apply it to all other areas of EU existence?
7 Jul 2015 11:50AM
Even if not a big threat. It was worthwhile writing to our local MEP.

FREEDOM OF PANORAMA from Glenis Willmott MEP for the East Midlands
Dear Michael,

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about Freedom of Panorama.
The law in the UK, as in many other European countries, provides for 'Freedom of Panorama' - the right to take and publish photographs of public buildings or artwork. I know that many people have been concerned by media reports about this issue.

However, there is no EU law being voted on or in consideration that would restrict your right to take photographs in public places in the UK. The amendment in question has been made by an MEP to a report examining the implementation of the 2001 Information Society Directive, but this document will have no legal effect. The European Parliament as a whole will be voting on 7th July to accept or reject the report, and I assure you that Labour MEPs will be voting against any amendment that negatively affects the current UK provisions on Freedom of Panorama.

The European Commission will propose a wide-ranging copyright reform by the end of this year, and the European Parliament has been at the forefront of keeping the debate going on the Freedom of Panorama and other issues. After the clear public objection to restricting Freedom of Panorama, we will be able to send a clear message that we do not want to see any similar measures in future proposals.

Labour MEPs are committed to ensuring that any new legislation takes on board the views of creators, consumers and industry so that we can take forward a copyright system that works fairly for everyone. This includes enhanced rights for creators of cultural content, and increased possibility for portability of services and access to cross-border content.

I hope that you have found this information helpful, but if you have further questions on this, or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes
Glenis Willmott
MEP for the East Midlands
Leader of the European Parliamentary Labour Party
10 Jul 2015 12:27PM

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.