Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Ever been disappointed in new camera?

laura16 17 606
1 Mar 2004 6:34PM
After having a manual Praktica for getting on for 20 years I often toy with the idea of getting a new, automatic and LIGHTER(!)camera.What I'd like to know is whether anyone else in this position has ever forked out for a nice new camera then been disappointed and wished they hadn't bothered spending the money?It will take a lot to part me from my cash so I want to make sure I don't regret it!Smile
Laura.
c_evans99 17 7.0k 1 Wales
1 Mar 2004 6:39PM
Before you splash out on one with all the bells and whistles, have you considered the Bessaflex... new SLR (tho retrostyled) but takes M42 lenses like your Praktica...
miracleman 17 121
1 Mar 2004 7:22PM
I used fully manual Prakticas for 11 years before i bought my first Nikon (an F60). I've never regretted switching to Nikon for a moment, but was disappointed in some aspects of that particular camera (including a lack of basic features like remote release socket and non-fiddly manual operation), and sold it to buy two older Nikons (an F801 and FM2), both of which i still own and use frequently. Buy a newer camera if you like - some of the modern features available now are great, but if you're used to manual Prakticas you might well get annoyed by many of the automated ones that try to be too clever, so find one that has the features you want, not just the features that a manufacturer put on just because they can.
db 17 35
1 Mar 2004 8:07PM
I used to have an old Praktica years ago but changed to Canon EOS. Never regretted it for one minute. Just made the move up to digital and am even more pleased (if that is possible)
park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
1 Mar 2004 8:42PM
I brought the new sony 828 and was disappointed, so changed to canon, but normally I tend to keep old cameras anyway ... i still have my old yashica manual slr, my canon eos 10, and now a digital 10d and a 300d, and a bronica sqai. ...so if I liked an old camera more I could still use it!
laura16 17 606
2 Mar 2004 11:49AM
I think what's made me wary is that I've had a few auto focus compacts and the annoying delay when it focusses made me wonder if all autofocus cameras are like that, even SLRs? I understand that you can focus on the subject and then wait to actually release the shutter by only pressing the button half way down but I did find it very hard to adjust to it not firing instantly!I constantly missed things due to that.
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
2 Mar 2004 12:12PM
The only camera I was disappointed in was one I bought about 11 years ago - a Panasonic C3000ZM... which on the face of it was a nice 'holiday' 35mm compact zoom, giving a genuine 28mm at the wide end.

The photos were however not great which was a shame - as the camera's only use was one of the best and most photogenic holidays I have had (Rome, Florence and Venice!)

I got rid of the cam on my return. But the 'damage' was done. :-(
disappointed in the aps system nice cameras but not given support by the uk photo industry eg price of development i was the one who bought 2 aps slrs ix7 and s100
j 17 38
4 Mar 2004 1:22PM
Go to Jessops and try a few of the auto SLRs out to get used to the auto focus (button 1/2 way down). You do get used to it quite quickly (it's just when you try to explain it to someone taking a pic of you with your camera when it gets complicated!).

I was left to my own devices once in Jessops when looking at telephoto lenses and could quite easily have walked off with an F55 with a 70-300 lens attached! Being a good citizen (and fearing karma!) though I took it back in!

I suppose the best thing would be to borrow a family members or friends auto SLR (if anyone has one) and shoot a role of film on it to get the feel of it.
laura16 17 606
4 Mar 2004 6:16PM
That's quite a good idea j.A family friend has a Canon EOS something(can't remember exactly) so maybe that would be a help.Only problem is he lives about 100 miles away...Ha ha. Visits quite regularly though.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.