Zoner Photo Studio X: The only photo editor you'll ever need - save 25%

Ever buy any creative photography?

magda_indigo 18 418 England
18 Feb 2004 7:33PM
I deliberately used the word creative rather than Art... But seriously, how many members have gone and bought a real print by another photographer? I am curious and interested. (*:*)
davidc 18 313 England
18 Feb 2004 7:49PM
I've bought prints from Jane Bown (Observer photographer) of the Beatles and a photo by James Ravilious of a farmer saving a sheep in a blizzard - yes YOU CAN see the sheep. If I had the choice and money I would buy a print from Ansel Adams, Irvine Penn and Fay Godwin. Whether the work of any of the above is considered to be 'creative' or 'art' I don't know. I just like them.
lightweaver 19 481
18 Feb 2004 8:34PM
There's a Joe Cornish print that I would love to buy, but my wife vetoed the purchase as there were other things to spend a couple fo hundred quid on. Still got my eye on it though. Wink
SuziBlue 19 16.2k 10 Scotland
18 Feb 2004 10:52PM
I think lots of people do on this site Magda .. members talking about getting prints sent off to each other .. and I'm just about to contact a couple of people to ask if I may buy a print or two from them ..

I've bought prints of other photographers as presents for friends ..

Someone was kind enough to want one of mine - I was absolutely thrilled to bits! (Not bragging - just so bowled over!)
magda_indigo 18 418 England
20 Feb 2004 12:41AM
So good to hear that!! My dream is to open my own gallery, hence the quiestion. Can you start with good but unknown photographers? (*:*)
20 Feb 2004 12:48AM
I would reckon so Magda. My thought would be that people will love to look at good work whether the photographers are famous or not. And I guess, similar to the fine art world, people will want to invest in someone they think has promise .. good luck with your venture!

Just my tuppenceworth ... 8-D
andytvcams 19 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
20 Feb 2004 12:53AM
That would be wonderful if somebody was to open a Gallery for unknown photographers,i know that i tried visiting a few Gallery's with some of my work,and although they were complimentary,they all said they only use well known photographers,so that was the end of one dream.
Andy.
Badger 19 4.7k 20 United Kingdom
20 Feb 2004 1:05AM
Not naming any names then Suzi?

Seriously, it is a thrill when somebody asks for a print from you, that or seeing your shot in print.
Matt
20 Feb 2004 1:12AM
LOL Matt .. just didn't like to labour the point!

There's a lot of mileage in this idea isn't there. You've set our brains whirring Magda!!
kit-monster 18 3.7k 2 Singapore
15 Apr 2004 1:46PM
In an ideal world, I'd love to have the chance to buy some of the photos here. I've already made a few requests but haven't succeeded yet. If you started with some of the members here, they wouldn't be unknown!

I too dream of opening a gallery. Good luck in your venture.

Edward
dclarke5 18 147 United Kingdom
15 Apr 2004 1:59PM
I have a friend who did open his own gallery and I have purchased one of his pictures. He also sells other people's paintings and sculptures, but also has to rely on clever but stylish nick-nacks and stationary to get by.
I have also purchased photography from local exhibitors. And I'm please to say I have my images bought also. 22 in my exhibition at the end of last year. Although as of yet I have not sold anything directly from my website.
Dave
KatieR 17 6.2k 6
15 Apr 2004 2:28PM
There is a chap who sells creative photos at a market down here - they appear to be very popular. Abstracts and landscapes with colour casts, that kind of thing. I haven't bought any, but friends of mine were extremely impressed by the quality and simplicity. I suspect he does very well out of it, although it is only a one-day-a-week market.
15 Apr 2004 7:30PM
What do people (those who don't make a sole living from photography) find they have most success with in terms of selling their photography - a website / an exhibition / word of mouth / flogging them to magazines - ? I'm assuming of course that all the necessary exposure and distribution is in place ..
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
15 Apr 2004 10:51PM
I would say for someone starting out, exhibition and word of mouth. With the web you are one of many and getting people to click on your site can be a nightmare. Magazines can be useful, but helpful if you can target publications that take articles to which you can supply suitable photo's (The photo's will pay better than the writing.). Local area mags are a good one. Yorkshire Life, Wiltshire Life etc etc.
Another good outlet is local framing shops. They supply the frames, you supply the shot and you come to an agreement on sales percentage.
I write Suzie, as one who didn't always make his sole living from snapping.
mr ess 17 43
16 Apr 2004 12:52PM
i would love to buy some of bob cc's work but at 600 quid a go it will have to wait
i would consider buying prints from on this site if i saw one i realy liked and if i had some spare cash. i think it would be great for the site if there was some way of putting print prices and other info on at the uploading stage i recently sold one to a guy on here i didnt know what to charge he didnt know what to pay so i just sent it and asked him to pay what it was worth to him...sod all it seems its been 2 weeks now and not a word ....nevermind eh

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.