Exciting Changes to the 1 Hour Challenge

stevekhart 14 4.5k 3 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2007 7:42PM
There's a rumour the monday night challenge was a racket, a front for an illegal image-laundering business. You'll need to go elsewhere to wash your dirty images.
Wink
catnappin 13 666 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2007 7:44PM

Quote:There's a rumour the monday night challenge was a racket, a front for an illegal image-laundering business. You'll need to go elsewhere to wash your dirty images.

Dang ....Rumbled.....
NickParry 15 1.0k 79 Wales
23 Aug 2007 7:55PM
I second that catnappin
JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
23 Aug 2007 8:00PM

Quote:I suspect it might be because there will now be prizes??

Is that not what the Monthly Competition has -- and they are very good prizes at that Smile

Why not let the Editorial Team judge that ... and leave the members' the chance to have a go with the 1 Hour Challenge ?
Hazard 16 1.2k United Kingdom
23 Aug 2007 8:05PM
Not been here for a while but from what I remember we did used to get some very odd choices for winner. Still, that might not change eh.
catnappin 13 666 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2007 8:17PM
From what i have seen .. the fun is in the frenzy .. the searching for ideas .. setting the idea up .. the shortage of time .. hurry hurry.. processing the shot or shots .. all within the hour .... and the winner is the person who tickles the setter pink with the interpretation .. all in the minds eye and nothing to do with the rule of thirds or a technically good shot .. please let the setter judge ..
23 Aug 2007 10:45PM
This really is a hard one...as the first-time worry stricken individual who set the last one, (more because of worry about setting something that would have 'appeal' and 'do-ability'..along with getting links and timing right - and posting a - hopefully 'inspiring' image..!!)
I would have welcomed someone else taking the responsibility of choosing the winner..I just felt I'd be upsetting so many others by apparently denying them recognition - considering myself a beginner with poor recognition of a 'good shot'.
But what is a 'good shot' ??
In this endeavour maybe we're not so much concerned with the compositional ethics, but more what tickles the imagination etc. and as such, it remains a 'fun' and random thing..
Missed out? ok don't get bitter...it's the frenetisism that catnappin describes is the key/fun component, next week it'll be someone else who might see things your way ( Wink )
I'd be a bit worried that to delegate the judging to the EPZ team it'll become more about composition, colour, focus, ..more 'serious' in other words and the 'daft' 'fun' 'lighthearted' components will be lost...

Time for my medication now....bieee..

Kevin.
lobsterboy Plus
16 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2007 10:49PM

Quote:the fun is in the frenzy

I've lived my life by that motto!
pennyspike 17 2.1k 29 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2007 10:52PM
I've had the honour once and must say the judging was all part of the fun of it.
Another thought I've noticed Pete has been joining in with the 1Hr Challenge, I've been very pleased to see this and I guess others were as well. If it goes to 'The Team' for judging he'll be out of the action.
Leave the serious stuff to the more serious competitions.
Speaking of which isn't it time for another RAW challenge?
23 Aug 2007 11:05PM

Quote:Pete has been joining in with the 1Hr Challenge, I've been very pleased to see this and I guess others were as well.

Enthusiasm and Freneticsm personified..!! how does he do it..!
Wink
_Helena_ 13 596 1 United States
23 Aug 2007 11:12PM

Quote:Speaking of which isn't it time for another RAW challenge?

Yes, omg yes! I've been looking and looking for the raw challenge and it's nowhere to be found Sad

Hey, question.. since the raw challenge is set to be more along the lines of the more advanced users (hope I don't get flack for that, i don't mean better togs, just those with more manipulation skills as most of the raw challenges require cloning, and hard core corrections etc).. then can that one be judged by the epz staff?

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to give the impression that I think that the monday challenge should stay being judged by the members.. I like the idea that the staff is going to give input because I participate for technical reasons as well as for fun and end result, I want to know if my pic really sucked or if another was chosen over it simply for personal preference..

So maybe a nice compromise is to give the person who won the monday challenge a vote in the process along with the staffs?

Just brainstorming..

Anyway WHERE IS THE RAW CHALLENGE??? hehehehe Wink
dougv 16 8.4k 3 England
23 Aug 2007 11:24PM
Well David actually said:

Quote:judging will now be made by the editorial team

So it depends whether Pete is part of the Editorial Team or not.
Smile
24 Aug 2007 12:25AM

Quote:I don't mean to give the impression that I think that the monday challenge should stay being judged by the members..

...Well I think the thread so far indicates that judgement SHOULD be by the members..for fun content etc.. if you want more 'serious' appraisal then by all means participate in 'higher' level conflicts, but leave the rest of us alone to our 'lighthearted' Monday madness..
_Helena_ 13 596 1 United States
24 Aug 2007 12:32AM
Misinterpreting me even when I'd intuited that it could be wrongly interpreted and prayed that it wouldn't be... oookay

I like the lighthearted bit too, but like a lot of members, I want a learning experience also. It's a great creative outlet and there's room for both lighthearted fun and technical growth with this challenge, in my humble opinion. Smile
Danny_Peters 13 159 England
24 Aug 2007 12:48AM
I'm out on Mondays. How is Tuesday for everyone?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.