Try Kindle Unlimited For 3-Months For Just 99p!

Expensive Leica

jonty500 17 126
16 Oct 2004 6:41PM
ive been looking at the back of a few magazines lately and have realised that leica seem to me riduculously expensive. why is this? i admit they do look cool, but i don't see top of the range nikons and canons costing that much. why are they so expensive. ive been on the website and its all about how old they are and stuff like that but does that make them more expensive.

thanx
keithh 18 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
16 Oct 2004 6:55PM
Leica's are the Gentleman of photography; the smooth running Bentleys, the fine 1962 Port, the H&H shotgun, they say more about you and your style of photography. They live life at an easy pace. They set you apart from the grubby Can-kon users.
and they cost.
Carabosse 18 41.8k 270 England
16 Oct 2004 7:03PM
Yep, it's a lifestyle thing Jonty.

Think of Leica as a designer label. Bumps the price up although the goods are not necessarily better than mainstream.
FrankThomas 18 2.8k United Kingdom
16 Oct 2004 7:23PM
Think of them as the Hasselblad of the 35mm world, built to last, used by pros and horribly expensive
16 Oct 2004 7:25PM
I wonder how many pros do use Leicas these days?
cambirder 17 7.2k England
16 Oct 2004 7:28PM
I dont own any Leica cameras, but do have 2 pairs of their binoculars. Fantastic optics only matched by the equally expensive Swarovski, Zeiss and Nikon HG's.

Apart from the Nikon's all are made in Austria or Germany which puts the price up somewhat. All birders either own one of these makes, or they aspire to own a pair, because once you have tried them mainstram won't do (not sure if this applies to cameras though)
jonty500 17 126
16 Oct 2004 7:37PM
so they are good but your paying for that little red dot?
c_evans99 18 7.0k 1 Wales
16 Oct 2004 7:44PM
Jesus uses a Leica... but God uses a Rolleiflex.

It's not really a label thing, if it were they'd be cheaper, just the whole ethos of Leica is quality and exclsuivity.

Ceri
16 Oct 2004 8:03PM
Leica and Zeiss are renowned for their optics but in reality the best of Canon and Nikon lenses equal them... I'm guessing there'll be general agreement about that.

I have a Leica lens on my camcorder (Panasonic) and a Zeiss lens on my Sony compact!! Both German firms have links with the big Jap rivals and I'm sure both sides profit from the relationship.
randomrubble 17 3.1k 12 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2004 8:45PM
I understand that Leica lenses have lower contrast than the japanese brands, so there is a slightly different character to images taken on them.
mark a. 17 920 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2004 9:42PM
Leica are ridiculously expensive because of:
(a) history - pretty much the first 35mm cameras, and still going today
(b) build quality - well screwed together, quality materials, nice to hold, smooth operation
(c) picture quality - many people say that Leica glass is the best in the world
(d) low sales volume - which translates to higher prices (economies of scale)
(e) collectors - there are far too many people (especially in Japan) who will buy them and stick them in a safe then sell them unused years later at a profit
(f) "value for money" - apparently you can buy a Leica for lots of money, then sell it years later, even after lots of use, for not much loss
(g) legend / brand - yes, you're paying for the name and the red dot

... and probably a lot more besides. Would I want one? Of course! Unfortunately I don't have any relatives about to give away theirs, so I'm going to have to save up. Not fair!
ellis rowell 17 2.0k United Kingdom
16 Oct 2004 10:21PM
When I enquired about the first Leica digital camera at Jessops I was told they didn't have one. Leica don't make digital bodies, the first one was made by Fuji (the Leica and the Fuji had exactly the same design and specification, but about 200 difference in price). The later ones are made by Panasonic and although there may be slight differences in design they are again basically the same.
keithh 18 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
16 Oct 2004 10:24PM
...although they are just about to release their interchangeable digi/film 35mm slr.
FrankThomas 18 2.8k United Kingdom
16 Oct 2004 10:25PM
Is that the R9 with the Imacon designed digital back??
Should be amazing
16 Oct 2004 10:27PM
The digital module fits the R8 as well.

Leica tend to be a bit behind the times but construction quality is undeniable.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.