Save 50% on inPixio Photo Studio Pro

experience

DannoM 12 58 England
18 Dec 2009 9:14AM
im looking to gain some experience in some different areas of photography. Weddings, studiowork that sort of thing. I have looked at courses but im on a budget. Does anyone fancy an assistant? Im in the bristol area. Do you think people would help me do this? I guess they could worry one day i would be competition?
Grampy 11 507 71 England
18 Dec 2009 1:56PM
Can't help you I'm afraid ,other than to say, if a photographer has so little confidence that he sees one more photographer as competition, he's not the right photographer to learn from. My advice go and get a job with the best you can find, even if you start making the tea and washing the studio floor, that's exactly how I started ,sharing 2 rooms with three other people for 6 pounds a week and that was London.
Good luck
Phillip
Overread 12 4.1k 19 England
18 Dec 2009 2:35PM
Just make sure that if you do end up making the tea and washing the floor that you are also getting the experience/tuition that you have signed up for. You are there to learn not be the free helping hand alone, so make sure that is clear from the very start.

It can happen sometimes happen when the photographer is new to taking on interns and the like and you just get overlooked or you might be unlucky and get one of those who just see a free tea making and cleaning machine. Don't let either happen since there is no point in wasting your time slaving away for no gain.

Also you have some great bird shots in your profile, but do try and put together a portfolio of your work in more focus toward people photography and portature - something to show to the photographer so that you can prove that you have both understanding of the basics and also a keeness in the area
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
18 Dec 2009 3:44PM
For the studio work, How about joining a local camera club..?

Some ( not all ) often have thier own studio kit and hold studio evenings, They often provide ( kidnap ) a model, Whatever...Smile But you can get some usefull tips and ideas, Have a go etc etc....!

They may even have contacts or know local photographers, Who are on the look out for assistants, Because a decent assistant on a wedding shoot, Is a very valuable asset....Wink
canon_stu 17 140 4 England
18 Dec 2009 11:58PM
Why not contact local studios and see if they do open model nights or days, lots are doing this now and depending on how many the limit is for the photographers these days can work out quite cheap.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.