Exclusive Offer - 20% Off Mitsubishi CP-M15E Printer Bundle!

Experience of being a Guest Editor...

chase Plus
15 1.9k 480 England
28 Sep 2020 11:32AM

Quote:Thanks for the GE POTW suggestion, I've added it to the upgrades list, no promises to when you might get it, since I've got a lot on with the daily management of the site and essential maintenance and upgrades.

Rick

Thanks Rick, that's good news !
dark_lord Plus
16 2.7k 709 England
28 Sep 2020 12:04PM
Well that's good to know it's on the list Rick.

I don't get, or expect to get, a PM from someone I've given a UA or GEA to, though it is appreciated. I guess some don't consider it, and there's no reason why they should, though many acknowledge it on their uploads.
28 Sep 2020 6:30PM
I do like my stints on GE, I take no notice of labels or anything - I cant honestly sit back and say I like an image and then not give it an award for having a title or anything. It does make you look at things that would not necessarily jump out at you from a thumbnail.
mrswoolybill Plus
14 2.4k 2290 United Kingdom
30 Sep 2020 12:21PM
I was sorry to read Somnath's negative thoughts on the GE experience. I have done it a few times, and found it totally positive. It's an opportunity to really look at everything happening in the gallery, open uploads that I probably wouldn't check out otherwise. Doing it just occasionally has also given me an overview of how the site is changing, progressing.

My memory is that this started when a prominent site member objected loudly to the site's choice of ECs and HCs, and threatened to flounce off. Pete, the site founder, said 'If you think you can do better, give it a go for a week.' Which he did - and then he flounced off anyway. So the idea was fairly improvised, but it stuck.

Everyone looks for different things, because we all have our own opinions as to what matters in photography. I don't mind logos and signatures if they are discreet, but I won't award a boring, unimaginative image that says nothing to me, however accomplished it may be technically. Others have different priorities. I think the beauty of the system is that it allows those different priorities to be recognised.

I really would encourage anyone who has not done a stint to give it a go.
Arvorphoto Plus
10 126 5 United Kingdom
30 Sep 2020 3:00PM
I look for something that stands out and appeals to me, we all have our own opinions but I do find that being a GE helps to focus the mind to study different genres/images. Images don't necessarily have to be technically perfect for me so long as there is a strong emotion in the image.

All of my awards are for the images not photographers so it is possible that someone may get more than one award in a week but hey that's how the cookie crumbles and if someone is consistently posting high quality images then that should be recognised. It also means that there may be quite few awards or none.

My modus operandi is to go through the gallery and shortlist, returning later to study the images in more depth and with fresh eyes, some will be lucky and receive a GE, there may be some that don't quite make that but I will give my personal award and some that will be overlooked.

I certainly wouldn't class being Guest Editor as hard work but it is time consuming.
On a couple of occasions in my last stint, I did comment on images and explained that in my opinion with minor improvements that an image would have got my GE.

It is certainly worth doing
clicknimagine Plus
10 723 101 India
30 Sep 2020 3:22PM

Quote:My memory is that this started when a prominent site member objected loudly to the site's choice of ECs and HCs, and threatened to flounce off. Pete, the site founder, said 'If you think you can do better, give it a go for a week.' Which he did - and then he flounced off anyway. So the idea was fairly improvised, but it stuck.

Exactly...and that time the gallery featuring GE Awarded images was different, now being a GE, we are sharing one gallery which is open at the home page attracting viewers mainly outsiders as well as the casual members or viewers of this site, my confusion is being a GE what will be my duty, of a judge or of an Editor as the name suggests, and here is the difficulty...and amid all the difficulty i love the concept...i placed my query to all of you friends, how you are enjoying it...
Arvorphoto Plus
10 126 5 United Kingdom
30 Sep 2020 3:38PM

Quote:
Quote:My memory is that this started when a prominent site member objected loudly to the site's choice of ECs and HCs, and threatened to flounce off. Pete, the site founder, said 'If you think you can do better, give it a go for a week.' Which he did - and then he flounced off anyway. So the idea was fairly improvised, but it stuck.

Exactly...and that time the gallery featuring GE Awarded images was different, now being a GE, we are sharing one gallery which is open at the home page attracting viewers mainly outsiders as well as the casual members or viewers of this site, my confusion is being a GE what will be my duty, of a judge or of an Editor as the name suggests, and here is the difficulty...and amid all the difficulty i love the concept...i placed my query to all of you friends, how you are enjoying it...

For me, you will be judging images but it is as an Editor, Somnath.

I enjoy it but since the pandemic, there seem to be a lot less images

mrswoolybill Plus
14 2.4k 2290 United Kingdom
1 Oct 2020 12:35PM

Quote:my confusion is being a GE what will be my duty, of a judge or of an Editor as the name suggests

I think the answer to this goes back to the history that I quoted. Pete Bargh the site founder was the site Editor, and in that capacity he judged the gallery awards; so the Guest Editor acted in parallel to a part of his role for a week. Maybe the problem now is that we don't have an Editor.
NeilSchofield Plus
13 1.6k 1 United Kingdom
1 Oct 2020 5:49PM
I have done it a few times and found it quite simple, however it was eye opening as I viewed every image of that week, and basically I would vote on images I thought were good (my opinion) thatís my shortlist for the day and then give awards to those I thought were the best

I found that I got a similarly number of great shots every day and always left a comment with the award, that way those who wished to acknowledge the award could do so by simply liking the comment

Itís really your choice as GE on what you award and how many you give, and whilst you shouldnít give two hoots about those images you donít award, for those authors you do award, it can be rewarding and motivating

Itís not a trial to see if you can be a photo judge, itís just what you as an ordinary tog think is good
clicknimagine Plus
10 723 101 India
1 Oct 2020 6:09PM
Interesting interpretations you all have, and with the views you all have provided, i can come to the conclusion that the images i like, i shall give it GE Award, and it will only be based on my personal preference...and i shall act as a judge for a week...

Is it justice to appreciate only my personal preferences...

3 Oct 2020 2:48PM
It seems there are different views of the role of guest ed., so much the better !
For the record, the couple of times I've done a week my method was to view EVERY photo, then shortlist those that I felt were outstanding IN MY OPINION and award the best two or three of those. At the end of the week I reviewed the shortlist for the whole week and awarded a few more if I felt, with hindsight, that they qualified. During the week I did not award any UAs so as to avoid a 'dual standard'. Once or twice I did not award any photos for the day in question, rare, but sometimes nothing hit the spot for me.

The criteria were strictly my personal preferences, hopefully a different point of view to the site editor and other guest editors. Variety is the spice of life. I make no claim to being a photo judge, just an active member of the site and of a couple of photo clubs.
clicknimagine Plus
10 723 101 India
3 Oct 2020 5:12PM
Actually, we all are doing the job of an Editor, we all are selecting a few from the bulk upload to decorate the Award Gallery...and we all are doing it according to our personal views...if i read your thoughts carefully...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.