Black Friday Deals For Photographers

Exporting photos from lightroom.

18 Sep 2017 12:18PM
Hi
Can anyone help me understand a bit more about lightroom and exporting photos once edited in lightroom as a raw image then exporting them to jpeg.. ive been told that shooting in raw is best so i tried it one day and altho my photos didnt quite turn out great as it was raining and my ISO was set high they ended up a bit grainy and dull, non the less I decided as I am still learning how to use my camera and recently got lightroom to learn how to edit, I decided to see if I could try and make them look a bit decent. I edited them and tweaked them a bit and they looked better than they were, still not great but better! Anyway when I exported them I went into the file on my laptop and they look totally different! Really bright and just awful 😐 I don't know if it's because I have to change setting while exporting or what? I have no idea! The picture looked colourful less hazzy but when I exported they look really hazzy, dull and the white in the photo is so bright! It's of a white horse being ridden and I just don't know what I've done wrong 😐 any help IF ANY would be great. thanks x
18 Sep 2017 12:40PM
When you make changes to a photo in Lightroom it saves those changes in an .XMP file so that your Raw file is left unchanged, which means that if you want to change the way you adjusted it the raw file is still untouched but in the Library the file appears with the changes. Where did you try to export it to?
Reading this may help you to understand the process a little better
https://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-save-images-using-export-in-lightroom/
JackAllTog Plus
11 6.1k 58 United Kingdom
18 Sep 2017 1:04PM
Hi Laura, Welcome to ePhotozine Smile

There are a couple of ways to export from LR - you can "save for Web" or just export. in those areas you can choose jpg/png and size etc. You can also choose colour space - like Adobe or sRGB etc - i'm no expert on these but try a few varients - I think i might be using sRGB - can't check yet.
When you get it right the exported file should look like the version you were just editing .

Good Luck.
Philh04 Plus
15 2.2k United Kingdom
18 Sep 2017 2:01PM

Quote:There are a couple of ways to export from LR - you can "save for Web" or just export.

No save for web in LR... Tongue

Which version of Lightroom?

It would be helpful to know how you are exporting your image and how you are viewing your exported image.

You do need to set up the export dialogue for your end purpose... scroll down through the dialogue and you will see lots of choices... for testing try limiting your file size by entering something like 1200 x 1200 pixels in the resize boxes, choose JPG at the highest quality and sRGB colour space.

Like I said we need to know what your settings are in the export dialogue...

Phil
ChrisV Plus
14 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
18 Sep 2017 2:54PM
If you're viewing the images on a different device to that which you're editing on it could well be down to differences in the display types and how they're calibrated [or not!] A cheap laptop will typically have a smaller, less accurate colour gamut [the number of colours it can display] and unless they are calibrated to the same target, the shifts can be alarming [and have nothing to do with your processing]. It sounds as if your laptop is showing a high temperature, brilliant whitepoint. That will show more vibrant colours, but a lot of them will not be reproducible in print [you're going from RGB to CMYK]. A lot of people like that as it will show brighter lights for video, for example [remember when you're looking at a screen, you're looking at light rather than flat colour pigment].

There's no easy answer to any of this because colour science is a very complex subject and reference calibrated screens can be hugely expensive. Don't get too hung up about images on some screens looking too bright because that will never reproduce in print!

Whatever you are editing on should embed the profile of what you've worked with, so if your output device reads the profile, it should more closely match that than any other screen you may view your images on.
Philh04 Plus
15 2.2k United Kingdom
18 Sep 2017 4:09PM
I may have misread... As Chris says you could be looking at a calibration/white point issue if editing on one device and viewing on another, I had assumed you were editing, exporting and then viewing on the same device.

Either way it would be useful to know how you are exporting and how you are viewing the exported image...
StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
18 Sep 2017 6:41PM
Lightroom can seem like a daunting exercise till you discover a workflow that is comfortable for you. I gave up on LR for a year or so, and then came back to it after watching this youtube tutorial:

There are 100s of tutorial youtube videos sponsored by BHPHoto, covering everything about photography, it's well worth your time to sit and watch a few, it's what I do over the winter months. You might find many other videos that are more to your liking, but there's a wealth of information available free on youtube. However, imo a good workflow is essential in your editing.
Chris_L 6 5.5k United Kingdom
18 Sep 2017 9:06PM
Photos tend to look better after export than they do in Lightroom's editor preview.

What export setting did you use? Did you have a dialogue box a bit like this one:

250184_1505764945.jpg

Try resizing to 1920 on long edge, standard screen sharpening, quality of 90, when you view the resulting image in Faststone, Windows Picture Viewer etc the image you see should look at least as good as how it did after you edited it.

I don't know anyone who got good results from Lr without doing some tutorials or taking some lessons on how to use it.

Start here scroll halfway down the page and you'll see loads of stuff you need to learn

JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
18 Sep 2017 10:10PM

Quote:Start here scroll halfway down the page and you'll see loads of stuff you need to learn

JK used to be my first stop for tutorials when I used LR
Well worth taking a look at Smile
malum 16 630 1 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2019 12:13PM
Talk us through your export process so we can see where you are going wrong.
It sounds like you might be choosing a colourspace that isn't supported by whatever you are using to view the images.
Unless you have specific needs sRGB is the one to choose as everything you will view with will support that.
Railcam 14 877 2 Scotland
28 Aug 2019 12:52PM
I agree with JJGEE above. Julieanne Kost (JK) videos on LR are very clear and easy to understand.

When I have exported a processed JPG out of LR I use Irfanview to look at the exported file. I was getting a slight colour shift until I went into the Irfanview - Options > Properties/Setting s> Zoom/Color management and clicked the "Current monitor profile" button. That solved the problem, So it could be that the programme you use to view your JPGs is using a different monitor profile to LR. Just a thought.
Jestertheclown 12 8.3k 253 England
28 Aug 2019 3:02PM
Have you looked at the age of this thread . . . ?
malum 16 630 1 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2019 3:03PM
Yes, just after I posted LOL
Still might help someone else. This whole forum seems a little dead
clevercloggs 16 249 11 Netherlands
19 Nov 2020 3:30PM
Sorry but this thread is still breathing and with a (bit of a) heartbeat....Grin
recently i decided to adopt lightroom as my first point of contact for all my images. i then also decided that LR would be the first place where i process photos, where as previously it was always PS.
i think i start to get the hang of the software except for one thing and that is stopping me from uploading more photos on E-photozine for instance...
i do not know how i get to save a processed photo in let's say JPEG....and then find it back in the folder where i think it should be saved...i then would like to upload that saved JPEG but since I cannot find it....
Note that i am following Scott Kelby's manual on LR classic...which is fine but on this one thing i cannot understand how to do it.
Any practical advise is more thatn welcome so i can start uploading images more frequently.
Robert

chase Plus
15 1.9k 480 England
19 Nov 2020 4:02PM
I use Lightroom for the basic stuff and Photoshop to finish things off.
This is what I do....create another folder on your hard drive, wherever you store your images, call it whatever you wish.

Once you have finished in Lightroom go to file>export>choose...then navigate to the new folder you created. You will have to tell Lightroom what format you want to save the image as, so you will need to check the export dialogue.
TBH, I always export as 16 bit Tiff files and convert to jpeg in Photoshop.
This may not be the totally right way but it works for me.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.