Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

USA Landscape Photographer of the Year 2016 open to entries NOW!

Expressions that annoy you

conrad 12 10.9k 116
22 Oct 2013 1:38PM

Quote:'we will be taking off momentarily' ... crossing the Atlantic could be difficult in that case

Nah, no problem. Even if you only take 'momentarily' to have the British meaning of 'for a very short time', it's still correct because take-off doesn't last very long, it's the sustained flight that you're thinking of, but that happens after take-off.

Of course, if you really want to interpret the phrase correctly, you have to take into account the nationality of the speaker, and the fact that in the US the word 'momentarily' means ' very soon '. (As you can see from the link, even when you look up the British meaning of the word, the online Cambridge dictionary still insists on showing you that there's more than just a British meaning of the word.)

I thought you might find that interesting... Tongue

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
6 5.9k 33 Norway
22 Oct 2013 4:30PM
TV reporters, et al, who want to bring us up to speed on something or another...what's wrong with bringing us up to date?
AlanJ Plus
3 747 England
23 Oct 2013 6:37PM
Please blow into this bag sir
SlowSong Plus
8 6.3k 29 England
23 Oct 2013 6:48PM
"This is pretty, isn't it?"
otherwise called "being patronised by shop assistants in their teens" who absolutely hate what you're buying.
Grin
SlowSong Plus
8 6.3k 29 England
2 Aug 2016 3:53PM
Had to resurrect this oldish thread as I'm sick of hearing about "narratives". It seems to be the word of the moment and is used everywhere, constantly. What's wrong with a plain and simple "story"!
I'd like to see the back of narratives "any time soon" - Oh, and that's another one that sizzles my brain. Grin
keithh Plus
12 25.0k 33 Wallis And Futuna
2 Aug 2016 8:03PM
This thread has reminded me however that I do miss Conrad.
petebfrance 4 2.0k France
2 Aug 2016 8:06PM
I would like to render my sincere apologies, Chris, because much as I would like to engage in an enlightening and intelligent conversation with you, at the present moment in time I have too many calls on my time (repeated use of the word time annoys meSad but at the present moment in time I have too many calls on my time to improve my narrative as to why I have not much timeTongue) to respond to your peroration, interesting, and may I say, apposite, as it undoubtably is in the circumstances.
However, I may be in a position to respond more fully at the appropriate juncture, when the time is ripe, in the fullness of time or 'any time soon' as they say in the vernacular.
Cephus Plus
11 2.2k England
2 Aug 2016 8:27PM
The use of the phrase "Nice capture" instead of nice photograph or nice image.
SlowSong Plus
8 6.3k 29 England
2 Aug 2016 8:37PM

Quote:I would like to render my sincere apologies, Chris, because much as I would like to engage in an enlightening and intelligent conversation with you, at the present moment in time I have too many calls on my time (repeated use of the word time annoys meSad but at the present moment in time I have too many calls on my time to improve my narrative as to why I have not much timeTongue) to respond to your peroration, interesting, and may I say, apposite, as it undoubtably is in the circumstances.
However, I may be in a position to respond more fully at the appropriate juncture, when the time is ripe, in the fullness of time or 'any time soon' as they say in the vernacular.

Someone else has been on the arty-bollocks website. Grin
petebfrance 4 2.0k France
2 Aug 2016 8:44PM

Quote:
Quote:I would like to render my sincere apologies, Chris, because much as I would like to engage in an enlightening and intelligent conversation with you, at the present moment in time I have too many calls on my time (repeated use of the word time annoys meSad but at the present moment in time I have too many calls on my time to improve my narrative as to why I have not much timeTongue) to respond to your peroration, interesting, and may I say, apposite, as it undoubtably is in the circumstances.

Someone else has been on the arty-bollocks website. Grin

Nah, memories of 'Yes Minister'Wink
Fma7 1 300 United Kingdom
2 Aug 2016 10:06PM

Quote:Nah, memories of 'Yes Minister

This below is from my local area that I just stumbled upon tonight

Quote:As spaces of complex layering of multiple relations, each with their own space–time dynamics and reach, policies of urban governance and their tangible outcomes can be materially experienced as conjunctions of multiple meshworks of assemblages with different scopes and different systems of values. This paper investigates a case example of a Private Finance Initiative for the construction of Throckley Middle School in Newcastle upon Tyne. Completed in 2003, Throckley school closed in 2005. A Deleuzean-inspired tracing of several Throckley assemblages is presented and the paper concludes by discussing the challenges of adopting a Deleuzean perspective for analysis of urban governance and infrastructure development.
SlowSong Plus
8 6.3k 29 England
3 Aug 2016 9:03AM

Quote:This below is from my local area that I just stumbled upon tonight

Quote:As spaces of complex layering of multiple relations, each with their own space–time dynamics and reach, policies of urban governance and their tangible outcomes can be materially experienced as conjunctions of multiple meshworks of assemblages with different scopes and different systems of values. This paper investigates a case example of a Private Finance Initiative for the construction of Throckley Middle School in Newcastle upon Tyne. Completed in 2003, Throckley school closed in 2005. A Deleuzean-inspired tracing of several Throckley assemblages is presented and the paper concludes by discussing the challenges of adopting a Deleuzean perspective for analysis of urban governance and infrastructure development.

Now that's what I call a narrative!
Oh - Duh! .................. Blush

andybebbs 8 355 1 England
4 Aug 2016 7:45AM
get a life you lot SmileTongueWink
Pete Plus
15 18.8k 96 England
4 Aug 2016 10:20AM
why is everything on the news now "so called"??? I kind of get the ISIS, thing but every day I hear something being "so called" rather than just what it is. This "so called" news is starting to annoy me. And also "should of" - It's "should have"!
4 Aug 2016 10:52AM
"Can I ask you a question?"......you just did.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.