ePz Exclusive: Save 10% On Eversure Camera Insurance

External storage

Ingymon 4 1 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2019 3:12PM
I have the D850 and am going to Norway soon and would like the ability to copy files from my xcd card to an external drive. Can anybody recommend a product that will do this?

Kind regards,

ingymon

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
8 9.0k 35 Norway
10 Jan 2019 3:43PM
I use this device . Mine works perfectly, although there are some not so positive feedback reviews on various sites. Very long battery life, wifi, so you don't need to connect to an external power source.

Of course, you could just take a lot of extra cards with you if you just want image storage.

Where in Norway are you visiting?
Ingymon 4 1 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2019 4:03PM
Hi

Many thanks for your advice. we are going to Lofoten and Bergen with brief stops in Narvik and Harstad.
saltireblue Plus
8 9.0k 35 Norway
10 Jan 2019 4:10PM
Lofoten is probably my favourite area in Norway. If you're going soon, you may see the aurora borealis - you'll certainly be far enough north. February is one of the prime times of the year for sightings.
Enjoy your trip, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Dave_Canon 12 1.5k United Kingdom
11 Jan 2019 10:01AM
I have an Epson storage device but I bought it about ten years ago so it only has a 32GB capacity. I used to use it for o/s visits when I only had three 1Gb cards and thus transferred images to create more space. Later when I bought larger capacity cards, I just used it as a back up. So I would recommend that you take enough card capacity for your entire trip and just use the external drive for back up which I suspect is what you planned anyway. I always buy high quality cards and have never had a failure yet. My Epson storage device also proved reliable. However, it is still worth backing up when on a trip which might never be repeated.

Dave
14 Jan 2019 8:24PM

Quote:So I would recommend that you take enough card capacity for your entire trip and just use the external drive for back up

Thatís wot I do too...i.e. take enough cards, and not rely on saving to something and using the card(s) again...by all means back-up but I still keep the cards just in case...when youíre home then do what you like..an expensive, maybe one-off trip doesnít compare with the cost of a coupla extra cards..Sad
pink Plus
15 5.8k 7 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2019 3:17PM
This is a situation where 2 card slots are very useful, I back up to my second card in camera, Cards these days are quite inexpensive.
Dave_Canon 12 1.5k United Kingdom
15 Jan 2019 4:43PM
Ian, a good point. This was not possible for me in the past but my latest DSLR has a double card slot.

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.