Save 35% On A SmugMug Account Today!

Eye-Fi pro SD card

jazzygf 17 537 Scotland
7 Nov 2009 7:44PM
Just got this amazing gadget a sd card pro with built in wi-fi. I have it set up with my Canon 1ds mk ii n, using the compact flash to store the RAW files and the eye-fi card stores and sends the jpeg right to the laptop its great fun to use.
mark_delta 13 1.3k
7 Nov 2009 7:46PM
Tell me more please, does it work, how easy was it to set up, how much did it cost, any specs you need on the laptop.
Would be most grateful for your advice.
Mark
Briwooly 15 454 6 England
7 Nov 2009 8:17PM
Here is a Link

Brian...............................................
mark_delta 13 1.3k
7 Nov 2009 8:37PM
thanks brian, looks very interesting, must try one.
jazzygf 17 537 Scotland
7 Nov 2009 11:01PM
I got it from amazon for 109.00 where as warehouse express have it for 119.00. very easy to set up if you have a normal router there is no problem. I have an orange live box and forgot that i had to sync it with the livebox. apart from that it was generally easy to set up, was wierd watching the test image come up on the screen. There are 5 types mark but i got the PRO as it has an adhoct system where the card and the laptop dont need a wifi system to work with each other ideal for location photography or weddings.
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
8 Nov 2009 11:48AM
(Link worked fine earlier - now seems their server can't cope... Wink)

So - will this work if I use it in a CF card adapter James?
jazzygf 17 537 Scotland
8 Nov 2009 12:24PM

Quote:

So - will this work if I use it in a CF card adapter James?

Good question honest answer i have no idea i use it with a 1DS mk 2 n so it has a slot for both compact flash and SD card
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
8 Nov 2009 12:34PM
Thanks for that James - not being familiar with the Canon, I did wonder - hence my question just to clarify the situation.

Think I'll email their Sales people when the site's back up... Grin
jazzygf 17 537 Scotland
8 Nov 2009 12:37PM
yes i just tried the site opps do you think that was me boasting about it that has crashed the site Wink
mark_delta 13 1.3k
8 Nov 2009 2:35PM

Quote:but i got the PRO as it has an adhoct system where the card and the laptop dont need a wifi system to work with each other ideal for location photography or weddings.

I remember that was the problem last time I looked in to these, I didn't fancy taking my router and a long telephone and power extension to a football match just so I could get the pictures on my laptop.
If it truly can send them straight to the laptop,Which it could not before due to poor code writing I hope they have a lot of stock, they will need it !
watch out for all the canon WT wi-fi dongles on e.bay !
samfurlong 15 2.5k United Kingdom
9 Nov 2009 3:09PM
Have a look there Mark. All you need to know. link
toneb75 11 187 England
9 Nov 2009 3:22PM

Quote:So - will this work if I use it in a CF card adapter James?

When someone else mentioned the eye-fi I thought about the same thing and found this. But not heard if it works or not.
Graywolf 14 1.0k United Kingdom
14 Nov 2009 7:36AM
How fast is it?
LensYews 12 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2009 1:32PM

Quote:So - will this work if I use it in a CF card adapter James?

Quote:If you shoot RAW + JPEG on the same card does it still transfer images to the laptop?

This guy has tried it with a CF adapter and also tried sending shooting using RAW+JPEG. Article

So it looks like a SD to CF adapter does work, but the metal casing of the CF card reduces the range of the eye-fi to a few feet. Eye-fi also advise using a SDHC adapter , rather than the cheaper SD/MMC adapters - although they don't test compatibility and only support SD/SDHC cameras. There are also comments about adapter bending pins in the camera with 100+ repair bills - presumably from using cheap copy adapters, not being able to format the card in the adapter and file corruption.

For RAW + JPEG it appears the basic card will store both formats, but only transmit the JPEGs via wifi. Looking on the eye-fi site the pro version supports sending RAW files wirelessly, so presumably would send both.

The pro version is also the only version that will work without having a router. i.e. card to laptop with no network connection.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.