Facebook & Flickr remove metadata - any software that stops this??

AliceM 13 26 United Kingdom
7 Apr 2013 12:16PM
I've been told for years that I should have pages on Facebook & Flickr in order to get wider coverage for my photography / direct more traffic to my website; so I bit the bullet & set up accounts on both, and now I read THIS - http://www.embeddedmetadata.org/social-media-test-results.php

Ok, I knew that FB was totally devoid of any morals; but they deliberately strip out every scrap of metadata in every photo - this is shocking. I tested a few of my - very well tagged & copyrighted - photos; & the downloaded image contained nothing at all that would trace it back to me. They are all heavily watermarked, but not always right across the image as this spoils it. Does anyone know of any software that can defeat FB & Flickr? At the moment I'm just using Adobe Bridge metadata tool. Thanks.
Gundog 7 629 Scotland
7 Apr 2013 12:31PM
Facebook does strip all EXIF data from images. Flickr doesn't.

Neither affect your copyright. You still retain ownership of the copyright of images you post there. Splashing a "copyright notice" over an image does not enhance the copyright in any way and, if a thief does want it, they can easily remove it with content-aware healing brush.

If you are using those, or any other web or social networking site to promote your photographs, two tips:

1. Upload only small, low-res files so that commercial use cannot be mae of them by a "pirate".

2. Ensure that your Facebook, Flickr, etc., accounts are set up in a way that makes it easy for anyone seeing your images to get in touch with you.

Both Facebook and Flickr can be very powerful marketing tools but only if used in an expert way by savvy people.
AliceM 13 26 United Kingdom
7 Apr 2013 12:37PM
Thanks - yes of course my images on FB are all very small - 72dpi, but I still don't like them being used on websites without my permission! And yes; my page is covered with my e-mail & website addresses. I still don't understand why FB does this though; are they trying to encourage theft of photos or what..?
7 Apr 2013 12:43PM
I choose not to upload exif data on the majority of my images, and turn off the 'view exif info' option on Flickr. The information isnt really relevant or much to anyone but me anyway. With flickr, i also disable downloads (of any size). This doesnt stop someone from screen-grabbing an image, obviously, but does stand as a basic deterrent. I post a simple note in the comments section stating that images may not be used without permission (again, it doesnt stop someone doing it, but its less inviting than offering someone the ability to download your image in the first place)

The majority of images i post on facebook or other social media sites are links to other sites and not actual uploads on facebook itself
Gundog 7 629 Scotland
7 Apr 2013 3:14PM
Alice,

Quote:

The majority of images i post on facebook or other social media sites are links to other sites and not actual uploads on facebook itself

This is a common way of using FB as part of a marketing strategy. Use your own website as the definitive site for your photographs and then "share" pages from that site on your FB "wall" and News Feed.

pulsar69 16 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
7 Apr 2013 4:13PM
I chose an altogether simpler option ' Remove Facebook ' and spend my time on photography instead Smile
Newdevonian 8 466 United Kingdom
7 Apr 2013 4:58PM

Quote:I chose an altogether simpler option ' Remove Facebook ' and spend my time on photography instead Smile

Probably the most sensible comment I have read here for some time!
7 Apr 2013 5:59PM

Quote:I chose an altogether simpler option ' Remove Facebook ' and spend my time on photography instead Smile

I'm surprised you find time to post and comment on ePz Wink
7 Apr 2013 7:57PM
isnt ePz about photography ? Wink
7 Apr 2013 8:22PM
So can a facebook page, if you wish. And while posting an image on epz (or posting a topic or reply in the forums) i can link it to facebook without actually leaving the site or going to facebook itself. Imagine how much time THAT takes out of a busy schedule Wink

Haters gonna hate, as they say
8 Apr 2013 9:01AM
True, Im not particularly a hater thoug, just fell out of love with facebook following the information that they strip exif data from photos , following the fact they started charging business to get things on peoples news feeds , following the fact that its just SO full of rubbish and scams , looking at how much time i wasted on it and what the real return was . For others there will be viable financial reasons for using it, i just found for me it wasn't and I am now spending that time taking photos, editing photos and looking at photography sites , will never bore of this one though as its one of the reasons i got where i am today ( thanks epz Wink )

Facebook encouraged me to post photos ; EPZ encourages me to take them ...
jimthistle73 16 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2013 2:30AM
If your camera supports it you can set the copyright info through the camera's menu. Whenever you upload to Facebook, there'll be a caption saying, "Suchandsuch Photography". Not a solution to your problem, but it does suggest that some, if not all file info is retained...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.