Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

fading to transparent

Seanf 14 5 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2009 12:15PM
I am looking to create an effect in photoshop where I have a main image and want to fade the edges to transparent. Could anyone please advise as to what I can do. I have been trying all sorts but can't seem to get it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sean
digicammad 17 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2009 12:23PM
Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but without being at a copy of PS I think it is something like this.

Add a mask to the layer
Click into the mask icon so you are editing the mask
Select the radial gradient fill tool
Set foreground/background to black/white
Draw a line from the centre of your layer to the outside

If I have got everything right that should leave you with a radial gradient transparency. If I haven't, then it is definitely something like that. Smile

HTH

Ian
StuartAt 16 1.1k 8 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2009 12:41PM
As with all these things there are different ways to do it.

I have just achieved the same thing by selecting the part of the image I wish to retain using the Marquee tool, feathering the selection, inverting the selection and then deleting.
dark_lord Plus
17 2.8k 769 England
25 Mar 2009 12:50PM
Or you could select as Stuart says, then use levels or the lightness slider in hue/saturation to fade out to complete white or black (depending on which way you move the sliders).
Or like Ian says, but on a separate layer, and change blend mode to either screen or multiply depending on wheter you've filled the selection with black or white. Without immediate accdess to PS I can't give more precise details either.
I'm not saying these are better, just different.
Experiment Smile
Seanf 14 5 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2009 1:21PM
thanks for all the ideas, will give them a go.

It is much appreciated.
Sean

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.