Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Fake NP-FM500H batteries

karryp 19 148 United Kingdom
10 Dec 2011 6:38PM
Just to let you know that my experience with ordering Sony NP-FM500H batteries from Hong Kong has shown up a problem. I ordered from 2 different suppliers this (supposedly made by Sony) battery for my Sony A700 (believe they work on A900 as well) in July. When they arrived, I charged them up successfully. Then last month I came to use them, one (don't know which) started up okay after inserting it, showing the number of frames left on the CF card. But then it displayed "Only for InfoLithium battery" and closed down. I sent it to Sony who confirmed that it looked very like a Sony battery but had minor differences (eg grey a little lighter than the true battery) and was actually a fake. The other was fine though.
pabloisme 11 566 England
11 Dec 2011 9:05AM
got conned by ebay seller (checked the sellers reports / credentials, probably all FAKE as well) from china,

IT seems they are selling reject and refurb, reworked product AS NEW, generally the japanese have their own inspection units in china and bad stuff goes in the bin! but ONLY to be flogged of and finished and sold via ebay

so buyer beware
Ade_Osman 18 4.5k 36 England
11 Dec 2011 9:25AM
I've bought my spare batteries for my Canon's at 7DayShop and always found them to be very reliable and long lasting despite being generic copies at a fraction of the cost of the original Canon kit.......Might be worth a look if you're looking to replace, the link should take you directly to the Sony batteries you're interested in.....

Ade
pabloisme 11 566 England
11 Dec 2011 2:49PM
been using 7day for years not the fastest BUT always reliable!
But there will be some changes when the 18 max per item tax free ends in the new year eh?
macroman 18 15.3k England
16 Feb 2012 3:32PM
I have a 7day shop spare Sony A100 battery and it's as good as the Sony and a lot cheaper.
CDSINUK 9 223 England
30 Sep 2012 6:08PM
amazon have some non trademark ones that replace, however i did notice the original is 6.8volt, and the new one is 7.3, not sure if thats a problem yet, its supposed to be a direct replacement 8.95 they work fine..... so far

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/278-7671496-8806435?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=DSLR+batteries&x=0&y=0
ratboy 11 5 United Kingdom
1 Oct 2012 1:25AM
Sony batteries at cheaper prices - hmm immediate alert ! A question for the original poster is how much cheaper ? I use NP-500MH equivalents which are cheaper and so far seem to be performing just fine. My philosophy is this - if you really want a cheaper battery buy one that is obviously not a Sony branded fake, if the price is too low it's going to be a fake no matter where you brought it from.

I have an Inov8 NP-500MH equivalent as a spare, it's not pretending to be a Sony it has Inov8 stamped on it. It's doing well performance wise.
caromal 12 8 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2012 7:38PM
I ordered 2 x NP-500MH equivelent batteries from 7 day shop, they wouldnt charge and displayed error messages. 7 day shop refunded my payment very quickly and apologised for any inconvenience.
Broken 10 21 England
25 Jan 2013 12:09PM
I have generic batteries as I cannot afford the Sony ones. Lucky so far but would not buy from China.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.