Change gear with our partner, MPB

Family portraiture in an outdoor setting

Arvorphoto Plus
11 144 6 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2010 8:02PM
My first love is landscape photography especially sunsets and now a friend has seen some of my pictures and would like a family group photo done at an outdoor location. I have plenty of kit for landscape photing - filters, tripod etc but no flash. I am wondering what the forum would suggest in terms of kit that I would need to achieve a respectable finished product that she will be happy with. Can I get away with such as reflectors and avoid the cost of a flash unit?

Portraiture is not something I have previously considered doing and may never do again, so I need to keep costs to a minimum until I'm sure that it is an avenue that I do want to explore.

Any suggestions please

Many thanks in advance
Daryl
JamesGarfield 12 915 4 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2010 8:26PM
Hi
I've done a few outdoor shoots and I'm afraid to say that generally I've always used a flash Examples (shameless plug for website). Reflectors will help but you'll need some assistance as well as a bright day assuming you are doing it during winter time? Have you considered hiring or borrowing one if that's at all possible?
angej 16 479 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2010 8:48PM
You can easily achieve a nice family portrait with natural diffused light. A bright day with white cloud cover would be good so to eliminate shadows on the face and the use of reflectors to bounce the light back would be useful.
Hope this helps
Ange
miptog 16 3.6k 65 United Kingdom
10 Dec 2010 12:06PM

Quote:Can I get away with such as reflectors and avoid the cost of a flash unit?

Yes. Invest in the largest 5 in 1 reflector that you can afford. This will have black/white/silver/gold/translucent sides. Black (subtracts light), white (reflect ambient light with a soft look), Silver ( as white but a stronger and more contrast), Gold (warms up skin tones), translucent (basically can diffuse the sun for you, and reduces the light intensity by 1 or 2 stops). Ideally you need an assistant to hold it.
Arvorphoto Plus
11 144 6 United Kingdom
13 Dec 2010 8:31PM
Sorry, I haven't added any comment upto now, it's been a bit hectic - xmas etc, but I would like to thank everybody for their input. I think I shall invest in a 5 in 1 reflector and hopefully, I can pick a good day.
Many thanks
Daryl

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.