Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Fashion Photography?

NickBradley 12 70 3 Australia
26 Jan 2009 7:51PM
Hi everyone, thanks for all the help on my previous post.
I am writing an essay on how to get into fashion photography at the moment and would love any help, hints, tips from people who are already there.

The main thing I need to know is how to get a paid gig and get recognised. I know some people have said that being an assistant is the quickest way to get in and make contacts, but is it possible to start out freelance and with the right marketing get enough work to make a living?

Any advice would be much appreciated and thanks very much for taking the time to help a fellow budding photographer!

Nick
park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
26 Jan 2009 8:06PM
to be honest it could take one or any number of three things:

* an amazing portfolio

* bieng at the right place at the right time

* who you know

I've been trying for the past 10 years and still aren't even close to getting any what I consider 'real' fashion jobs.

your work looks as if it's on the right track at least, so just keep trying and you may get lucky

regards
Paul
NickBradley 12 70 3 Australia
26 Jan 2009 8:11PM
Thanks very much Paul. I guess I want to put myself in the place where I will get to know people, so I am essentially making my own luck right? I just need to find out what that place indeed is.
MattGrayson 13 622 3 England
26 Jan 2009 8:52PM
Take a look at this link:

Click me

and have a look at other features we have in there. We're also going to try for higher profile fashion photographers in the near future so keep checking in.

Smile Smile Smile
MattGrayson 13 622 3 England
26 Jan 2009 8:56PM
After posting this I read the thread Wink and what Paul has said runs parrallel with what the interview says. The photographer there was a model so had loads of connections. Benjikan lived with a fashion photographer when he started.
But there will be photographers out there who have networked their hearts out and who, like Paul above, work really hard for the work.
Graflex 17 488 United Kingdom
27 Jan 2009 2:53PM
Can I give you people a little advice from someone that has spent over a half century in the media and Glam photography-retired now thank goodness.
To add to the mystery,stop going on about how the pictures were taken,what camera,where and why!.Nobody in the trade will be interested,it all sounds too 'amateurish'.

With all the years in the trade nobody,but nobody asked what camera I used-they look for talent,someone with flair,someone with bottle,someone they can trust,someone with direction and focus in life.Immaterial how it was taken,this sorts the sheep from the goats.

Millions are all trying to break into fashion photography-if I was interviewing a photographer I don't care if he was shooting with a box brownie,has this person got style,get up and go attitude.Charm with the gift of the gab that brings out the models character.

Photography is about the person behind the camera,not the camera itself.That's part of the secret of success-mystery.
Mjhearne 14 432 4 Scotland
27 Jan 2009 3:36PM
Im a firm believer in being in the right place at the right time, awaiting a lucky break. Obviously a quality standard of work is a start, but I believe its about opportunities! Right time, right place!
I would love a career in Fashion, but I am not gonna cap myself. I have decided to market myself as a portraiture photographer and take it from there. I love fashion as it keeps me creative, but realisticly just now, its family portraits etc that will pay the bills.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.