30-Day FREE Amazon Prime Trial - Get Ready For Prime Day 2021

Fast 50mm for Nikon

mikephoto 7 7 Wales
12 Dec 2013 12:41AM
I am looking to buy a 50mm 1.4 or a 'fast' lens for my Wedding photography. I have looked at the new 58mm 1.4 and the Zeiss 58mm 1.4 but while I was very impressed they are very very expensive. I am thinking about the Sigma 50mm 1.4 which looks great and the price is very attractive. I want a very sharp fast 50mm or thereabouts ??
GlennH 15 1.9k 1 France
12 Dec 2013 1:46AM
I'd be a little nervous about using the Sigma 50mm at max aperture during a wedding. It routinely front-focused at f/1.4 on my old 5D (haven't used it so much lately), and only became reliably accurate at f/2. An identical problem was mentioned on DPReview. It is capable of great results, but I think there are better performers at max aperture (in terms of sharpness, as well).

The more recent Sigma f/1.4 35mm is worth looking at, if it's not too wide.
779HOB 9 1.2k United Kingdom
12 Dec 2013 7:27AM
I have a Nikon 50mm 1.4 and love it. Don't think it's that expensive but can't remember.
peterjones 19 5.1k 1 United Kingdom
12 Dec 2013 8:28AM
Nikon 50mm f/1.4 or if you must have a look around for a s/h 50mm f/1.2 AIS M/F.
GlennH 15 1.9k 1 France
12 Dec 2013 11:18AM
Few people ever seem to mention problems with very fast lenses (especially on ePz), but they're inherently prone to axial CA and focus shift. The weird thing about the Sigma 50mm is that it acted counter to normal expectations, becoming more reliable when closed down slightly.
mikephoto 7 7 Wales
12 Dec 2013 11:23AM
Glenn after a long time considering my options I think I am going for the Sigma 50mm 1.4, great images and great prices. It uses 77mm filters too which is a bonus for me

Appreciate your input thanks. Mike
GlennH 15 1.9k 1 France
12 Dec 2013 11:36AM
I think it's likely to behave differently from body to body, Mike. You may experience something completely different (must test it more rigorously with my 5D MK II). A body with micro focus adjustment could obviously be used to remedy any inaccuracy at a particular aperture. Closed down slightly it's extremely sharp - probably as good as any other lens I own. Defocused backgrounds are very smooth, if you like that sort of thing (I do). Oh, and it's roughly the size of a dustbin - very large compared to most 50mm lenses.

I mentioned the 35mm because it has some of the problems of the 50mm under better control - less CA, for instance. It's also meant to be sharper than all marque rivals. I briefly tried one out at the Salon de la Photo, a few weeks back.
mikephoto 7 7 Wales
12 Dec 2013 11:43AM
from what what I have seen it appears the better of the bunch. I will be using it for weddings where the Out of Focus performance will be great. I prefer the larger size and the price compared to some. Thanks for your help

Mike
thewilliam 12 6.1k
12 Dec 2013 12:19PM
Before lashing out hard-earned money on a ultra-fast 50mm lens, have a good hard think about the aperture that you really need.

The basic f1.8 Nikon 50mm is a first-rate performer and superb value for money. When used wide open, most of the scene is likely to be out of focus, so a stellar performance in the corners may not be needed.

Then as you increase the maximum aperture by 2/3 stop to f1.4, the price more than doubles and the price sextuples for another half-stop if you get the MF f1.2. Many Leica users would find the basic f2 Summicron is acceptable.
mikephoto 7 7 Wales
12 Dec 2013 2:10PM
William good point thank you.

Mike
mikephoto 7 7 Wales
12 Dec 2013 7:26PM
Thank you everyone for your input. I have just bought the Nikon 50mm 1.8 G. It appears to be a great lens and at a great price. I think 1.8 is faster than I will probably need and in all the reports I have seen there are no bad reports. So I have made decision and ordered it through Warehouse Express.

Thanks to everyone for the good advice, appreciated

Mike
13 Dec 2013 1:42PM
I think that you will be very pleased with the quality of your files produced by the lens.
LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
16 Dec 2013 8:05AM
You have not said why you are not considering the Nikon 50 mm f1.4 G, a relatively recent introduction, at £269 less Nikon cash back and likely in stock at any Jessops.
It seems an obvious front runner in any list of options.
16 Dec 2013 11:13AM

Quote:You have not said why you are not considering the Nikon 50 mm f1.4 G

About £140 depending on where you shop I would think; I also suspect any improvement in output quality or performance from the 1.4 over the 1.8 would be insignificant except under test conditions.
Trev_B 14 151 68 England
16 Dec 2013 7:36PM
I have no experience with any but the Nikkor 50mm f1.4… it's a truly wonderful lens capable of producing gorgeous portraits with a superb BOKEH. If you are doing weddings then you will need a versatile quality glass to give your customers the results they are paying for…. ok it's twice the price of the f 1.8 but the difference is only about £140 which is not allot for a pro lens.

Trev

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.