Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 10 Ultimate

Faulty Canon EFS 18-55mm Lens

peterkin 16 666 England
31 May 2020 6:50PM
Last night while preparing to take some night sky photos, I stupidly dropped my Canon EFS 18-55mm kit lens on the tiled kitchen floor. The plastic, glass and contacts appear to be undamaged but the lens will not auto focus and just 'hunts' when I have the camera set to the middle focus point - as is usual for me - or if I set any other single focus point. However, if all the focus points are set it does focus on a couple of them. Is this something that may be easily fixed or should I just bin it and buy a new lens. My camera is a Canon EOS 100D. Unfortunately, I won't be able to log on and come back to this topic until later tomorrow so thank you all in advance for any advice. Smile

Peter

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Mike_Smith Plus
13 644 1 United Kingdom
31 May 2020 8:37PM
The cost or a repair, would make it uneconomical to do. Compared to the cost of a new lens. Just had a look on MPB, at second hand ones. And for a good one your looking at 50 area, hope this helps
thewilliam2 3 1.4k
1 Jun 2020 10:36AM
If that lens is anything like the Nikon equivalent, it was a great performer but wasn't designed to be repaired, other than replacement of the bayonet lens mount.
peterkin 16 666 England
1 Jun 2020 5:00PM
Thank you, Mike and William. Looks like I need to get a new one - but they are cheapish as you say Mike. Thanks again to you both for your comments. Smile

Peter
thewilliam2 3 1.4k
1 Jun 2020 6:41PM
I'm on my second Nikon 18-55mm and it's useful because it's a great performer, will focus to one-third of life-size and it weighs practically nothing. My wife has a 17-55mm which gives one or two stops wider aperture, depending on which end of the zoom, but at the cost of considerably greater size and weight.

I know which I'd rather carry now that I'm getting older!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.