Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Faulty Canon EFS 18-55mm Lens

peterkin 17 679 England
31 May 2020 6:50PM
Last night while preparing to take some night sky photos, I stupidly dropped my Canon EFS 18-55mm kit lens on the tiled kitchen floor. The plastic, glass and contacts appear to be undamaged but the lens will not auto focus and just 'hunts' when I have the camera set to the middle focus point - as is usual for me - or if I set any other single focus point. However, if all the focus points are set it does focus on a couple of them. Is this something that may be easily fixed or should I just bin it and buy a new lens. My camera is a Canon EOS 100D. Unfortunately, I won't be able to log on and come back to this topic until later tomorrow so thank you all in advance for any advice. Smile

Peter
Mike_Smith Plus
13 774 2 United Kingdom
31 May 2020 8:37PM
The cost or a repair, would make it uneconomical to do. Compared to the cost of a new lens. Just had a look on MPB, at second hand ones. And for a good one your looking at 50 area, hope this helps
thewilliam2 4 1.5k United Kingdom
1 Jun 2020 10:36AM
If that lens is anything like the Nikon equivalent, it was a great performer but wasn't designed to be repaired, other than replacement of the bayonet lens mount.
peterkin 17 679 England
1 Jun 2020 5:00PM
Thank you, Mike and William. Looks like I need to get a new one - but they are cheapish as you say Mike. Thanks again to you both for your comments. Smile

Peter
thewilliam2 4 1.5k United Kingdom
1 Jun 2020 6:41PM
I'm on my second Nikon 18-55mm and it's useful because it's a great performer, will focus to one-third of life-size and it weighs practically nothing. My wife has a 17-55mm which gives one or two stops wider aperture, depending on which end of the zoom, but at the cost of considerably greater size and weight.

I know which I'd rather carry now that I'm getting older!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.