Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

fave small camera

redhed17 14 866 England
10 Apr 2016 12:55AM
I have a Canon S95 as my 'with me all the time compact camera'. I bought it because of the high quality and the ability to record in the RAW format.

If I had the money now I would get the Sony RX100 III. Very similar size and layout, larger sensor, 21mp instead of 10mp, better hi ISO performance,and with a retractable viewfinder. I would lose some zoom range, but for the other benefits I would be willing to lose that, if I had the money. Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bwlchmawr 7 32 1 England
10 Apr 2016 6:10AM
MX-1, flawed and frustratingly slow but the results...
MikeA 15 1.3k England
10 Apr 2016 9:01AM
Sony RX100 iv, bought for winter holiday, so much more portable than my Canon 5D2. Good 4K video with slog2 and up to 1000fps for SloMo, with 250fps giving fun results.
faulknerstv 15 421 United Kingdom
10 Apr 2016 10:39AM
Fuji x20, great little camera
Lenscapon 3 64
10 Apr 2016 11:15AM
I'm not sure of the real benefits of small cameras? The only ones that you can really fit in your pocket will have a marginal advantage over a phone camera.

High quality compacts like the Sony RX100 and Lumix GM are great, but you'd need a big pocket! And most of our hands are not compact, so they can be tricky to operate.

So if you are going to carry a camera bag, why not go for something more 'man sized' and ergonomic?

When I need compact, I just put a 27mm pancake lens on my Fuji X-E2 and put it in a small camera bag.
RobboB Plus
13 133 United Kingdom
10 Apr 2016 11:38AM
In the olden days when I used to have a Bronica 645. I also had a little Minox for the pocket. The one with the fold out lens. It took pin sharp images, as long as you remembered to dial-in the distance to subject on the focusing ring.

Now I have Fuji xe1 with 27mm pancake if I really want it small but a leather carry case holds the 18-55 and this works well as a carry around.
bainsybike 10 334 United Kingdom
10 Apr 2016 1:16PM
Canon EOS M
redhed17 14 866 England
10 Apr 2016 1:37PM

Quote:I'm not sure of the real benefits of small cameras? The only ones that you can really fit in your pocket will have a marginal advantage over a phone camera.

Sorry, I don't agree. In good light any camera can give a pretty good image, but a good compact camera may have the benefit of a larger sensor, but definitely a better lens.

Quote:High quality compacts like the Sony RX100 and Lumix GM are great, but you'd need a big pocket! And most of our hands are not compact, so they can be tricky to operate.

When I am on holiday I have the Canon S95 in a neoprene bag in the pocket of my shorts, and the RX100 cameras are only slightly bigger. Obviously the cameras in phones are taking over as the compact option, which is why the compact camera sales have dropped through the floor. I don't have a smart phone, but I know that it would not fit in the pocket of my shorts like the S95 does. Yes, it would be a lot thinner, but it would be a lot longer and wider.

Quote:So if you are going to carry a camera bag, why not go for something more 'man sized' and ergonomic?
The point of the small compacts is to not have to carry a bag if you don't want to, but still get good results. Possibly poor ergonomics and being tricky to operate is the cost of using a compact camera. I much prefer buttons over everything on a touchscreen though. Smile The Canon S95 has a very good design an interface imho, and Sony obviously thought so too as the virtually copied it for the RX100 cameras. Wink

Everyone should choose what is right for them of course. Smile
Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
10 Apr 2016 1:46PM

Quote:The only ones that you can really fit in your pocket will have a marginal advantage over a phone camera.

I've yet to see a phone camera with decent zoom lens to allow telephoto shots of distant objects or with the ability to achieve good shallow dof or that I'd want to use to take shots of a football game. An S100 etc would beat the phone hands down.
Andy80F 16 328 United Kingdom
10 Apr 2016 6:44PM
Fuji X100T No doubt. Olympus XA in the past.
AlexandraSD 8 762 United Kingdom
10 Apr 2016 8:26PM
My iphone, has its uses but also obvious limitations, i wouldnt go shooting birds with it, but for general use its brilliant, and even though the wifi no longer works, neither does bluetooth, i still use it very regularly, but it is somewhat noisy.
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
10 Apr 2016 10:42PM
I recently bought an iphone 6s, 64gb, and returned it after 10 days. Imo, the camera was very bad, 12mp, not too bad, but 3X digital zoom is all, didn't like it at all. I have a 4s that is just as good camera wise, but my LG G3 has an amazing camera, 16gb, laser focus, and dual flash, with an optical zoom and Panasonic OIS, and I don't know why I got the iphone to start with. The iphone doesn't even have IS.
GazzaG2003 16 365 England
10 Apr 2016 11:10PM
Fuji X10
Andy_Curtis 5 808 United Kingdom
13 Apr 2016 10:21AM
iPhone Tongue
dcash29 14 2.4k England
13 Apr 2016 5:15PM
Sony Nex 6 - Fantastic ergonomics, no extra grips required and a sight cheaper than the A6300

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.