PortraitPro Flash Sale - 50% Off + Get An Extra 20% Off with Code: EZ89

Feathering PS selections.

jimbo_t 17 959 England
19 Dec 2004 3:08PM
Just a quick question. When making selections how many pixels would people reccomend feathering by? I use 40 but this is only my guess. A reat problem is tree lines, how should I feather around them in particular?
Cheers folks.
Jim

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Anthony 18 5.6k 17 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2004 4:13PM
Hi Jim, dont know if this helps, but i usually do something inthe region of 1 - 5 pixels, but it does depend on the starting size of the image. As for feathering around trees, keep it small, but I cant be any more specific than that I'm afraid.

Good luck.

Anthony
StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
19 Dec 2004 4:55PM
Jim, I think experience and experimentation will help a lot in finding what works for you. Something I wasn't aware of till recently helps tremendously in tightening up selections. In PS or elements, make your selection and then do select>modify>expand or contract, whichever is appropriate, using 1 or 2 pixels for the amount. It's helped me get cleaner selections. Cheers
tva 17 307
21 Dec 2004 12:39PM
Its difficult to give a specific reply as each image is unique. It depends what you are trying to achieve. In a landscape for instance, you can go from 1 pixel to a 100 for different parts of your image.
I'm afraid it comes down to experimentation, experience and judgement. Don't worry, you'll get there.
Some tips. When you do the selection, check it in quick mask, this will give you some clues. Do the selection on a duplicate layer.Apply the effect and look at it at different zoom levels. If you dont like it discard that layer and redo. If happy merge down and continue.
HTH
Terry
dontforgetme 16 1.7k 7 United Kingdom
21 Dec 2004 2:05PM
what does fethering do exactly?
Anthony 18 5.6k 17 United Kingdom
21 Dec 2004 2:06PM
feathering is a softening of a selected edge.
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
24 Jan 2008 1:39PM
If I need to feathering a selection with 1 pixel and another selection with 100 pixel in PS CS3, how do I do it?

I can't make a selection, feather 1 pixel, then add another selection to it and feather 100 pixels, as that will feather the previous selection with 100 pixels as well.

Hope you know what I mean.
mad-dogs 18 2.2k England
24 Jan 2008 1:59PM

Quote:If I need to feathering a selection with 1 pixel and another selection with 100 pixel in PS CS3, how do I do it?

I can't make a selection, feather 1 pixel, then add another selection to it and feather 100 pixels, as that will feather the previous selection with 100 pixels as well.

Hope you know what I mean.

Make the first selection with appropriate feathering, go to the channels palette and click the 'save selection as a channel' icon at the bottom of the palette. ( Dark square with white circle in the middle. )

Repeat the process for the second selection.

Then load one selection by cmd / ctrl clicking the appropriate channel and then use cmd or control + Shift to load the second selection ( or subtract using the alt instead of shift. )
mad-dogs 18 2.2k England
24 Jan 2008 2:03PM
To alter the feathering 'on the fly', make the selection into a layer mask and use the levels dialogue on the monochrome layer mask image.

The mid point adjustment in the levels will alter the feathering, the blacl / white control points alter the choke - ie expand or contract the selection.

You may need to feather the selection before converting into a layer mask or use slight gaussian blur on the layer mask.

To move the selection, click on the link icon to unlink and then the layer mask can be moved using arrow keys and selection tool.

Control or command clicking the layer mask will lod the 'marching ants' if required or the layer mask can be copied to another layer ( option or alt and drag )
24 Jan 2008 3:33PM
brilliant, thanks.
will try it when I get home.
mad-dogs 18 2.2k England
24 Jan 2008 4:02PM
You can also adjust the Quickmask using levels in a similar manner.
mad-dogs 18 2.2k England
24 Jan 2008 4:17PM
A quick and simple method to combine different feathered selections is to make a new layer and fill the first selection.
Make the second selection and fill that one on the same layer.

Command click the layer to load the selection.
exposure Plus
16 6.0k England
24 Jan 2008 7:50PM
Bookmarking.(*.*)
Exposure.
25 Jan 2008 8:17AM

Quote:To alter the feathering 'on the fly', make the selection into a layer mask and use the levels dialogue on the monochrome layer mask image. The mid point adjustment in the levels will alter the feathering, the blacl / white control points alter the choke - ie expand or contract the selection

So, you just click on the layer mask and then go to adjustment - Level?
Is it possible to add an Level adjustment Layer and link it to the mask only?
kalseru Plus
13 3 9 England
29 Jan 2008 4:51PM
If you are using CS3 it's all very easy - after making your selection go to SELECT/REFINE EDGE and the dialogue allows you to visually adjust feather, contract or expand before you apply it to the selection.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.