Female speakers for Camera Club evenings

dcash29 14 2.4k England
17 Nov 2014 5:12PM
OR

You could try this lady http://christinewiddall.co.uk/

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

monstersnowman 14 1.7k 1 England
17 Nov 2014 5:23PM

Quote:At our club we do not select female speakers because of gender equality it is because they sometimes have a different perspective on the picture being taken.

That is quite true but there are an unlimited number of reasons why ANY person male/female, black/white, young/old etc could have a different perspective to any other person rather than just gender, in fact every person has life experiences that mean on an individual basis we all may bring a different perspective than the next person without focussing on gender as a basis upon which to presume a different perspective. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying you shouldn't be looking for women to speak if
mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2014 5:51PM
But I don't think it is always about experience. The very fact that the person is different to the usual presenter (be it younger/older, male v female, irreverent vs serious) adds a different vibe to the proceedings but whether the presenter capitalises on that and ends up being more interesting is a different matter...
keithh 16 25.6k 33 Wallis And Futuna
17 Nov 2014 6:28PM
I just think you're asking for too much.

First you need to find a decent female photographer. Then you need her to be able to stand up and speak.

And on top of that you need to find both of those in a woman who is allowed out at night on her own.

Wink
18 Nov 2014 2:01AM
32338_1416276025.jpg

Smile
18 Nov 2014 3:24AM
I have found the local craft clubs have the same problems, but instead finding male contributors, actually they dont seem to see it as an issue at all ... In fact the total lack of male members seems also not to be a problem.

Its an interesting consideration to contemplate - why women not being present in organisations seems an issue that needs always to be addressed but lack of male members in any organisation never seems to be an issue. I don't come to this from any angle or agenda I wish to champion, I'm just raising a disparity of gender awareness and equality that is interesting as it only generally goes one way.
keith selmes 16 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2014 10:18AM
I have noticed a fair amount of effort in getting more women into engineering, and more men into nursing, but I don't think either of them have much success.
I'm not sure why people are worried about that.

In the present discussion it seems fairly sensible, if the club routinely has talks from old men, get someone different for a change.

Sorry, can't resist Wink, a female perspective on photography https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7rymjezXGU&list=FLPrr8Tpnh0AH1JrFJHvYwOw&index=25
LenShepherd 11 4.1k United Kingdom
18 Nov 2014 11:11AM
Are you looking in the right places, and paying enough money?
The PAGB lists of lecturers are becoming heavily biased toward older male speakers, part because lecturing to some "in decline" camera clubs is somewhat unrewarding and some young progressive photographers of either sex quickly migrate away from PAGB lists.
There are plenty of female professional photographers and print makers around. Pros these days expect a fee of around 100 plus travel for a few hours work, which makes the members of some camera clubs splutter.
Masham Photographic Society works closely with the art sector and looks at the portfolios of pro photographer portfolios based within 75 miles. This helps us get about 33% female lecturers - and the subscription is not cheap for a pro speaker around once a month.
Recently we heard the set producer of the Royal Opera House in London had retired to our area. She produced a brilliant lecture including photos of many of her sets and how she set about achieving special effects of great benefit to photographers.
Looking ay your personal portfolio it shows vision and style likely to be lost on some members of some camera clubs Sad I think you need to look beyond some camera club programmes Sad
keithh 16 25.6k 33 Wallis And Futuna
18 Nov 2014 12:15PM
I'd say that 100 for a 'few hours work' has to be a bargain but I'd agree that Camera Clubs place too much emphasis on 'approved lists'.

It's alright getting a 'Pro' but they have to have something to say and then it has to be interesting. Most Professional Photographers lead a very dull existence of babies and smiling mothers. The work they produce is much like their neighbour. I like Len's idea of thinking laterally.
dcash29 14 2.4k England
18 Nov 2014 5:13PM

Quote:Pros these days expect a fee of around 100 plus travel for a few hours work, which makes the members of some camera clubs splutter.
Only because they wish to spend their thousands on equipment.

Clubs sell tickets and offers to other local clubs if the speaker is worth it.
Basically the cost is peanuts.

Women are to blame for the lack of women. We have the same issue at our sport clubs.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.