Get 50% Off Affinity Photo Today!

Festival Of History

Sezz 15 619 15 England
19 May 2010 11:25AM
Festival Of History, 2,000 years in two days.

I am keen on attending this event at Kelmarsh Hall, Northamptonshire on 17th/18th July, sounds like just my type of thing Smile I was just wondering if anyone has attended before and whether it's worth buying a weekend pass instead of a day ticket - if so I can then think about getting some accommodation?

Thanks in advance

Sarah x
KevSB 16 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
19 May 2010 12:10PM
A very large event by uk standards, covers uk history over 2000 years, they have 3 arenas, 1 large and 2 small, the large arena has constant battles all day covering roman chariot racing through to modern battles with fly overs by ww2 aircraft and last year had a small pathfinder team parachute into the main arena, the smaller displays include drill sessions, Jousting and other displays.
The tented areas have living history displays of all the major periods and are exceptional for person/portraits ect.
Also in prev years they build a Static display, last year a French fortified structure which has battles on it 3 times a day, In prev years a WW1 tank stuck over a trench, Also random displays like fire eaters can be encountered, it would to write down everything .

The downside for photographers is it is run by English heritage which is very keen on health and safety which has a 20 mtr(most have 2 mtr) safety cordon around the main arena meaning long lenses are a must as you have to stand at the back people of with seats and kids are asked to go in front, I will be there both days as this is a subject I do over many others.

I will be there both days as I was last year but my advice would be to buy one and when you leave they offer come back the next day for 10 quid or offer you reduced membership of EH and free entry But that could change this year, so yes lots going on and you cant see everything in 1 day, For photography I wouldn't rate this above other events across the country But without knowing where your based and how far you want to travel I cannot recommend any as each group/period is regional based in most cases.

The best event closest to that location is Stanford hall which Is American civil war society event involving cavalry infantry and artillery and is in June and includes a full battle.
Sezz 15 619 15 England
19 May 2010 1:52PM
Thank you very much Kevin for your detailed reply, I appreciate all the information.

I do have English Heritage Membership so the cost for the weekend is very reasonable @ 15.50. From your info' it sounds as if there is a lot to see over both days so I think I might stay for both - I am not too far away in Kent. Yes the ropes and cordoned off areas are always a pain at these events aren't they, nothing much that can be done about that apart from bringing a long lens as you suggest and in my case a step ladder too Wink only kidding!

If anyone else is attending - perhaps would be nice to have a mini epz meet?

Once again thanks Kevin.

Sarah *
19 May 2010 4:29PM
Consider War and piece show , one of the top shows in the uk again and its in kent
meercat 11 278 United Kingdom
19 May 2010 4:35PM
Or Bank holiday weekend (sun 30th - Mon 31st May) visit Bletchley Park for their Forties Family Festival , Not only a day full of re-enactments (WWII) but they allow photography anywhere onsite even inside (unlike most places of interest).

Not quite 2000 years covered but I'm sure it will be interesting
Sezz 15 619 15 England
19 May 2010 4:36PM
Thanks Kevin, yes it is brilliant - just down the road from me and I have been for the last two years. I've quite a few shots in my PF from there. I'll probably go again this year and can highly recommend to anyone else thinking of going 21st - 25th July.

Sarah *
Sezz 15 619 15 England
19 May 2010 4:37PM
Ashley thank you, that sounds excellent too! Smile

S*
19 May 2010 5:11PM
If there was any interest in doing this type of photography I would be happy to contact a few people and arrange a photo workshop day for lets say 10 people at the most, But would need a much more competent photographer to advise people on teqnique, I could arrange the shoots with the People involved.
I would need to verify this of course but would need the commitment before arranging it, this would be free of charge but the units would like to see the pictures and be able to copy for personal use.

This wouldn't be at kelmarsh tho as they are very strict on access, it would be a Saturday or Sunday in June.
Sezz 15 619 15 England
19 May 2010 5:55PM
That's a great idea Kevin, especially for those living near you! I would be interested in attending but possibly at a later date. I have quite a few things already booked for weekends in June but please keep me informed if you have any more interest and if/when a date.

Sarah Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.