Save 60% On inPixio Eclipse HDR Pro

few test images with my D800

park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
23 Mar 2012 10:02PM
Hi everyone,
well I got my D800 today, and so before the battery died on me, I shot a few test images off and a video clip.
click on the link below if you're interested - enjoy! Smile

link here
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
23 Mar 2012 10:16PM
Canon 5D Mk II pic looks better? Wink
23 Mar 2012 10:23PM
yes, funnily enough the canon does still look pretty good - smaller image, but still good - I'm sure the canon 24-70 seems sharper than the nikon 24-70 !!

but my 5D mk2 is useless at focusing ( these tests were done focusing in liveview mode to make sure it was accurate), so I'm sure the nikon will thrash it in this respect on 'real shoots'
sausage Plus
16 685 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2012 9:27AM
Glad you got your D800 - still waiting for mine. BTW where did you get it from?
joshwa Plus
10 927 1 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2012 4:07PM
Did you get it for the original price? Smile
Steppenwolf 9 1.2k
24 Mar 2012 6:40PM
You need to compare the cameras on a "level playing field", i.e. the images need to be resized to the same size - you can downsize the D800 or upsize the 5D, it doesn't matter. Presenting them the way you have done is always going to favour the lower Mp camera. DPR have been doing this for years and drawing invalid conclusions.
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
24 Mar 2012 7:49PM

Quote:can downsize the D800 or upsize the 5D, it doesn't matter

I think it does (arguably) matter, somewhat. Downsizing the D800 would be better, as upsizing the 5D2 would involve interpolation.
Steppenwolf 9 1.2k
25 Mar 2012 7:56AM

I think it does (arguably) matter, somewhat. Downsizing the D800 would be better, as upsizing the 5D2 would involve interpolation.

You're probably right. They usually resample the bigger image down (using Photoshop's "bicubic smoother") to make the comparison.
BigRick 15 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2012 9:09AM
the face tracking option only tracks the face, not the eyes, and you do know you can move the focus point in the camera dont you? if you are using SDOF then i am not sure i would trust it to focus on the eyes at f1.4 Wink Tongue
25 Mar 2012 11:37AM

Quote:Glad you got your D800 - still waiting for mine. BTW where did you get it from?

calumet - Birmingham and yes at the original price

I'd ordered it on the day it was announced - paid a deposit, then paid in full before they shipped them. Smile
25 Mar 2012 11:40AM

Quote:The face tracking option only tracks the face, not the eyes, and you do know you can move the focus point in the camera dont you? if you are using SDOF then i am not sure i would trust it to focus on the eyes at f1.4 Wink Tongue

thanks for the advice - coming from Canon, I'm not really sure how everything works yet (... and reading the manual is for pussies ... right ? !!) Wink
25 Mar 2012 11:45AM

You're probably right. They usually resample the bigger image down (using Photoshop's "bicubic smoother") to make the comparison.

to be honest , I'm sure all this 'pixel peeping' doesn't really do anyone any good anyway ... If we all spent more time actually taking pictures rather than testing the cameras, we'd propably all be slightly better photographers! Wink

I've got a music video shoot planned later today with it so that should be interesting!
mattw 17 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
26 Mar 2012 9:36AM
Surprising results from the test shot.

In general, you should expect the higher resolution image to be slightly softer (espically if the high resolution sensor is able to resolve more detail then the lens)

Either apply a little sharpening to the D800 image, or upsize the 5D2 image to get a better sample of how the two cameras compare at the D800 resolution.

It is interesting that the 5D2 was picking up some scratches from the coin which the D800 did not. Did you also test at ISO 100?

Also worth remembering that tests such as this can often be missleading.
26 Mar 2012 10:43AM
agreed - test results are very subjective and should only really be taken as a rough idea of what the camera is capable of.

Also, I'm finding it hard to do direct comparasons because apart from being different pixel amounts, the two cameras seem to give totally different light exposures when set to the same apperture / shutter speed / iso etc - not sure why this is, but I found it last night too when trying to shoot a video with both cameras.
Steppenwolf 9 1.2k
26 Mar 2012 12:56PM

Quote:Also, I'm finding it hard to do direct comparasons because apart from being different pixel amounts, the two cameras seem to give totally different light exposures when set to the same apperture / shutter speed / iso etc - not sure why this is, but I found it last night too when trying to shoot a video with both cameras.

I've read that the ISO settings of cameras are not necessarily very accurate - not sure what the allowable margin of error is. David Kilpatrick (on PhotoClubAlpha) has seen some quite big variations when using different brands of cameras in the same conditions with the same lens. The focal length of lenses is also not exact - they're usually short on the tele end and long on the wide end.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.