Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

few test images with my D800

Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
26 Mar 2012 1:01PM

Quote:I've read that the ISO settings of cameras are not necessarily very accurate

With digital cameras ISO is, as I understand it, just an approximation to the old film standards so every manufacturer - presumably - has its own was of doing it.
Just Jas Plus
19 26.3k 1 England
26 Mar 2012 7:23PM
Doesn't really matter if the digicam is doing its own metering. Doesn't really matter eitherway.
Steppenwolf 9 1.2k
27 Mar 2012 9:11AM

Quote:Doesn't really matter if the digicam is doing its own metering. Doesn't really matter eitherway.

Except that it can lead reviewers to invalid conclusions. If the camera says it's ISO1600 but it's actually ISO1250 it can make the camera seem less noisy than it is.
66tricky 14 742 Scotland
27 Mar 2012 9:59AM

Quote:
I've read that the ISO settings of cameras are not necessarily very accurate - not sure what the allowable margin of error is. David Kilpatrick (on PhotoClubAlpha) has seen some quite big variations when using different brands of cameras in the same conditions with the same lens.

DX0 Mark sensor comparison is a good place to start...
park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
27 Mar 2012 10:47AM
agreed -
yes this matters a little when trying to compare cameras, but when you're just using your camera to take photos (god forbid!) then you'll end up using whichever setting suits you best for whatever you're shooting - wether it's accurate to a figure or not, you'll find what works for you. Smile

hopefully later tonight I'll put up a side by side video comparason with the D800 and my old 5D mk2 both at 640 iso - so far from what I've seen I'd say they are about on a par - the nikon bieng slightly lighter.

Obviously the 5D mk3 will probably have better low light capabilities, but I don't have one to play with unfortunatly (or a C300, or a Red for that matter)
Steppenwolf 9 1.2k
27 Mar 2012 1:32PM

Quote:
hopefully later tonight I'll put up a side by side video comparason with the D800 and my old 5D mk2 both at 640 iso - so far from what I've seen I'd say they are about on a par - the nikon bieng slightly lighter.

Obviously the 5D mk3 will probably have better low light capabilities, but I don't have one to play with unfortunatly (or a C300, or a Red for that matter)

I would assume that the 5DIII will have better low light capabilities than the 5DII because it's newer, but why would you assume that the 5DIII has better low light capabilities than the D800 - if that's what you're saying? Or is this another of those simplistic "High MP cameras are more noisy than lower MP cameras" posts.

I probably don't need to point out that going into an "objective" comparison between any products it's pretty essential that you assume nothing or the comparison is worthless.
28 Mar 2012 1:56AM
just posted the video comparison on my website - side by side video with my 5D mk2 and the D800 both at 640 iso - they look about on a par to me, let me know what you guys think
29 Mar 2012 11:38PM
now have a music video up on the website done with the D800 Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.