50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Fewer June competition entries, was it the prize or the theme?

mitchellhatpeg 18 205 1
1 Jul 2003 6:01PM
You posed this question in your write-up for the June competition where the theme was 'Sound' and the prize was a pair Robby Williams concert tickets. I thought I'd give you some feedback and see what others thought about it.

I didn't enter personally as the theme didn't 'grab' me. When I thought about it I decided I might create a complex montage as my entry but when I considered the prize (which held no interest for me either) I wasn't prepared to put in the effort required.

So, what do other readers think?
a2jlp 18 165 Scotland
1 Jul 2003 6:48PM
I found the theme quite difficult to interpret but in a way thats good because it forces us to think. It was a more difficult subject than some of the previous competitions and I doubt many of us had stock photographs depicting sound and my guess is that a very high percentage of the photos entered were taken specifically for this competition.

So thats another plus, forcing us to get off our butts and try something different. I also ran out of time, busy month at work, new camera to get to grips with and I did some more work on my web site. Thats my excuse for not entering.

I think there will be a massive entry for next months comp; silhouettes are just about as common as sunsets but trying to find something original and with impact . . . . .
durlstonp 18 638 1 United Kingdom
1 Jul 2003 8:30PM
As with most themes, I rapidly had 2 or 3 ideas ranging from the simple to do to the downright ridiculously difficult. Usually, I reject all of those as too obvious and then really start thinking. This month I saw the torture in store for the unfortunate winner and did no more thinking about it. I don't normally stand a chance in the competitions (too many people far better than me) but just knew that hating the prize would condemn me to winning it! Wink

DP
1 Jul 2003 8:49PM
Robbie Who?
Nah photographic prizes yes, something from Teen Mags R Us? no

Baz
collinf 18 1.2k
2 Jul 2003 6:47AM
I spent a month trying to get a photograph of a computer mouse ball bouncing (while playing Robbie) on my 10 inch sub woofer that's in the back of my Mini.

I failed miserably. I almost wish I had a digital so I could see instant results :o)

It would have been good, the subwoofer glows blue when it picks up a bass beat :o)
collinf 18 1.2k
2 Jul 2003 6:53AM
By the way, it's not a harmonica, it's an accordion.

Congrats to Steve anyway :o)
daiprice 18 90
2 Jul 2003 11:20AM
I normally have a stab at the competitions, even if I don’t actually send in an entry, just for the practice. I have to admit that when I saw the prize I didn’t bother (sorry all you Robbie fans out there)
TanyaH Plus
18 1.3k 411 United Kingdom
2 Jul 2003 11:26AM
Where do we find the June competition entries to view? Or are they not up yet?
collinf 18 1.2k
2 Jul 2003 11:29AM
ePHOTOzine June Comp

Click the link :o)

You can get to it from the menu by going:

Photos --> Photo Competitions

Collin
TanyaH Plus
18 1.3k 411 United Kingdom
2 Jul 2003 12:53PM
Doh! I knew that really ... I think that Monday-thing has carried on through the week ... cheers Collin!
digicammad 17 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
3 Jul 2003 2:23PM
Even though I didn't fancy the prize I entered anyway. I took the view that any comments would be useful and any success would be brilliant. I got short-listed and spent the next day telling everybody who would listen :0)

Ian
Big Bri 19 16.7k United Kingdom
3 Jul 2003 10:33PM
I agree with Nokin and Mitch....

I have barely picked up my camera this month... I had an idea for this comp, but the effort for a prize I didn't want was too much.

btw, I noticed Bob Garas was in the top 4 again. Doesn't he live in Orlando, Florida ??? Could have sworn the rules said "UK residents only".

It would also be nice if the competitions on here (like in PP mag) allowed amateurs a chance to succeed and exclude professionals like bob.

(but like the Murphy's I'm not bitter)
SuziBlue 18 16.2k 10 Scotland
3 Jul 2003 11:12PM
hmmmm ... difficult ... actually I'm kinda glad the competitions attract professionals because it makes me set my sights high .. plus it makes the sponsorship much more valuable to Pete and the team which means more goodies from the fish-fuelled brains of Pete and the team Grin

LOL
Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
3 Jul 2003 11:49PM
I'm not aware that Bob is a professional...and often amateurs are as good if not better than pros. Re overseas they can enter but can not win the prize as the rules states it's for UK entrants only.
naturenut 18 1.8k England
4 Jul 2003 11:57AM
He has a pro portfolio though Pete

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.