File Size for Banner

whipspeed 16 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2007 9:11AM
I have been asked to provide an image for a 2m high banner for bike shows. Would the original large jpeg image from my 20D be capable of producing that?
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2007 9:24AM
Probably as for display images you are not meant to view them from 2 inches but further back, so the resolution need not be nearly as high as a print.

congratulations BTW. Smile
lobsterboy Plus
16 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2007 9:30AM
I would have thought the Banner printers would have RIPs that allow them to upsize a file like that with a good enough quality. Their RIP would be much better at the resize than you doing it in photoshop so I would just send the original file.
Ganto 14 769 2 Ireland
9 Aug 2007 9:32AM
2m high, but how wide? 800mm? 6m?
Modern RIP software can inflate images really well and I have printed images from my D70 (3000x2000px) up to 1.5m wide x 1m high. The image won't be "fine art" quality, but you must ask what the viewing distance will be. If your banner is 2m x 1m or 2m x 0.75m then the 20D will do the job.
If the banner is 2m x 6m it may be better to incorporate your image into some larger sort of artwork.
Also, the people printing the banner can do a crop of the print at full size, if you want to check the quality of the output.

Pat.
9 Aug 2007 9:33AM
Thank you for the replies, I can now sort out with the purchaser. They will be on display at Eurobike and Interbike.
This is not a request I've had before through my website, it's usually just the cyclists purchasing images of themselves or clubs wanting shots for their sites, so it's quite exciting that a fairly large manufacturer has been lookingSmile
9 Aug 2007 11:54AM
Update - Deal is done! My first ever advertising sale has now gone through and they will send me a photo of the banner on site when the show is on. They are also having the shot on their website with a credit to me as the photographer.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.