Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Files change when loaded into Affinity

Hi Guys
Help needed if you can, and im sure you can !!
I have just purchased this program so I can process my raw files and it is a great program from what I have seen so far.
problem I have is... when I open a Raw file into the program it changes to a Tiff ? I know its Raw,as that is what I shoot all my images as.
It had the file ext CR2 and when it opens in Affinity its changed and some to a JPG.?
Any help would be great as I bought this so I could use the raws.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

DaveRyder Plus
4 2.8k 1 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2018 9:23PM
My understanding is that the file format chosen at export - several choices available.

I generally use jpeg in and jpeg out.

Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
12 Jun 2018 9:38PM

Quote:Hi Guys
Help needed if you can, and im sure you can !!
I have just purchased this program so I can process my raw files and it is a great program from what I have seen so far.
problem I have is... when I open a Raw file into the program it changes to a Tiff ? I know its Raw,as that is what I shoot all my images as.
It had the file ext CR2 and when it opens in Affinity its changed and some to a JPG.?
Any help would be great as I bought this so I could use the raws.

That is correct. A raw file is simply the data from the sensor. When a conversion is made the program creates an editable file, hence the tiff or jpeg file. The raw file remains unchanged.
JJGEE 13 7.4k 18 England
12 Jun 2018 10:23PM

Quote:when I open a Raw file into the program it changes to a Tiff ?

I do not use Affinity but I have never heard of any program changing the file format when opening, only when exporting / saving where one has the option of several file formats: jpg, tiff, psd, eip.
Jestertheclown 10 7.9k 252 England
12 Jun 2018 10:28PM

Quote:when I open a Raw file into the program it changes to a Tiff ?

Surely, you'd only know that when you come to export it?

It's never occurred to me until now but I'd have thought that the image, the one that you see while you're doing you're editing, isn't really any specific format.
12 Jun 2018 11:10PM
Hello

I use Affinity a bit (although not normally for processing raws). When you open the RAW file it will take into develop module (a bit like camera raw for Adobe users). Here you can adjust things like exposure white balance etc. Its not possible as far as i can see to save the file from this point. To save the file you need to 'develop' which will take you to photo editor where you can do more advanced editing. Here you can save the file as an Affinity file, or export it as another format such as Jpeg,Tiff etc. The exported and saved files do not overide the the original RAW file wich should still be there.

I think this is typical of all RAW processing software, that you canot save and a revised version in the original format .cr2 in your case.

Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
13 Jun 2018 9:01AM
OK can now reply a little more fully as I am not trying to type on the screen of my Android Tablet.

Firstly rest assured Affinity Photo is not changing your raw files into any other form of file. As stated above, when you open your .CR2 file in Affinity it will open in the Develop Persona (This is Affinities answer to Adobe Camera Raw). Before you can work on your file the raw sensor data in your file needs to be translated into a form which contains pixels, this is what the conversion part of the program does.

All the adjustments you make in the Develop Persona such as exposure, contrast, saturation etc. do not make any changes to your raw file they are simply a set of instructions that will be used when that translation is made, unless you are somehow overwriting those raw files they should still be there as they came off the card.

When you translate the raw file Affinity Photo needs a rasterised file so that you can work on it (in simple terms a file that contains pixels), this file will be in Affinities internal format and may indeed still display an extension of CR2 but it is no longer your raw file, it is the translated version, your raw file is still safely sat on your hard drive.

When you finally come to save/export the file it will need to be saved as a 'raster' image format i.e. TIFF, JPEG, PSD etc hence the file extension will be different.

I hope that makes sense...

As for file formats to work on and save, personally I would avoid JPEG until you need a JPEG for purpose i.e. for posting on the internet. JPEG is a format that is fine for portable delivery etc but limits you when it comes to any form of editing... JPEG by definition is an 8bit lossy format, your camera can probably record 12 - 14bits in its raw format so you straight away lose 4 - 6bits of data. Also as a lossy format each time you edit and save information is lost (note save... not to be confused with open and then close). TIFFs and PSDs will allow you to work with all the recorded bits of data along with other significant benefits (something for another thread)

HTH
Hi guys,
many thanks for all the helpful replies. Maybe I have confused the issue by explaining it wrong.
When I load an image to Affinity from my album on my Mac (which are all raw) it loads/opens in the program fine, but it does Not open into Develop persona it opens
in Photo persona as a Tiff.This I know as its written at the top of the screen. If I load an image straight from my compact flash(again Raw) it loads into the Affinity program
into the develop persona and stays as a .CR2 again written at the top of the screen. Now im thinking its the Mac thats changing something.? More confused now.
Thanks for all your help so far though.I will sort this somehow.
Graham.
p.s
Exporting as a different file not a problem. Its only when its first opened into the program.
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
14 Jun 2018 2:10PM
Had to wait till I was back at my computer to check, opened numerous CR2 files and they all opened correctly in the develop persona...

A raw file should not be able to open as a TIFF, they often contain a jpeg preview my only guess is that somewhere along the line these files have been converted to a TIFF file, have you checked in finder what the extension is to these files?

How are you transferring your raw files to the computer? The best way is to simply copy the files to a new folder...

I even tested files from my old 1Ds which creates a raw file with a tif extension and they opened correctly in the develop persona.

So the only answer I can come up with is that you are not opening raw CR2 files but are in fact opening TIFF files.
Chris_L Plus
4 4.9k United Kingdom
14 Jun 2018 2:56PM
How do you get your files from camera to computer?

If you are doing it via the Mac's own importer it's likely that if you aren't careful it is converting your files to .TIFF as they will work with more applications than .CR2 files will.

Inspect the files from the finder, you are possibly blaming Affinity for what your Mac has done / is doing
Many thanks everyone on this....
But I think I've cracked it. !!

I am now loading my compact flash through a card reader and putting them into a folder on the desktop. If I now load them (CR2) from this folder into Affinity, bingo they open into develop persona and I can now work on them ok.Hooray. Note to self, learn how to use your Mac.!!
I think its because I was loading them through photos which is an app.?
Thanks again for all your help.
Graham.
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
15 Jun 2018 8:19AM

Quote:I think its because I was loading them through photos which is an app.?

That is more than likely the reason and Photos was/is set to create Tiff files on import (I never use it so don't really know what preferences can be set.).

Glad you are sorted now..... and thank you for letting us know.
cheddar-caveman 15 1.1k England
27 Jun 2018 12:57PM
So after all that, is Affinity a good editing tool for the money? Does it do as much as the very expensive Photoshop/LR, for example, will it "focus stack"?
Fuji new firmware for the X-T2 has the focus bracketing now and I'd like to try it but need an editing programme that will handle the stacking side.
saltireblue Plus
8 8.7k 34 Norway
27 Jun 2018 1:42PM

Quote:So after all that, is Affinity a good editing tool for the money? Does it do as much as the very expensive Photoshop/LR, for example, will it "focus stack"?
Fuji new firmware for the X-T2 has the focus bracketing now and I'd like to try it but need an editing programme that will handle the stacking side.

I have just tried the 10-day trial and have decided to stick with PS. I too have the x-t2, but didn't see if stacking was available in Affinity - I had enough comparing the more basic functions.

My decision is mainly based on the fact that many of the operations in Affinity need more clicks than in PS. Not a very big deal, perhaps, but irritating when you come up against it often enough.
I guess having been with Elements/PS so long it's difficult to change to something else and start that learning curve all over again. I have now a catalogue of 'how to' actions in PS and am at last reaping the benefit of all that learning.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.