50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Fill-Flash , getting it right manually---- Help Please !!!!

marclemar 19 1
22 Sep 2001 6:27PM
I want to use my Canon 420ez flash gun manually for fill flash with a manual TLR camera. The gun allows 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 control in power output. As yet I havent tested these setting on a film, so don't know how each setting behaves. Does each fraction correspond with an F-stop or do I need to use a table of some kind to get correct fill ratios? or is it a case of trial and error.If anyone has one of these guns and can be of assistance it would be appreciated. Ta
Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
27 Sep 2001 11:59PM
Yes, each fraction is the equivalent of one aperture setting. So setting the gun to 1/2 will give one aperture less light han needed which is good for fillin in bright sunlight while 1/4 is better for use in slightly overcast conditions to brighten the image and give subtle flash coverage.
samfurlong 15 2.5k United Kingdom
16 Nov 2008 2:14PM
It depends on the ambient light though, if it is really sunny then 1/2 power may be required but generally I would start at more like 1/8th. In most cases 1/2 power will fry an image.
Also your aperture has an effect, if you are shooting at f 2.8 or f4 then you need a much, much weaker flash to achieve the same effect that you would at f8 or f 11 (shutter speed isn't a factor in flash exposure until you start getting above the sync speed).

Say you were shooting on an averagely bright winters day outdoors with a bit of cloud and an aperture of f4 - 5.6 then I'd start at 1/8th
power, maybe bracket it with 1/4 and 1/16th too if you're unsure.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.