30-Day FREE Amazon Prime Trial - Get Ready For Prime Day 2021

Fill Flash stuff up

J-P 18 396
12 Mar 2003 9:45AM
I shot a load of outdoor portraits today on Porta 400, using a mixture of ambient light and fill flash.

Trouble is, I left my Metz 45 set on 50 ASA. Mainly I was using 2:1 fill (ie lens on f8, flash on 5.6).

So I guess my shots will be 2 stops over for fill flash.

Am I better to process for 400 ASA and hope that the tolerance of color negative will still produce a printable result at 2 stops over, or should I pull to 100 ASA and hope that the shadows are OK ?

Some of the local labs here offer a digital masking service called Diamond prints. Anyone any experience of this ?

Luckily it's not an important set of pictures.

Thanks

JP
PS I do not have TTL flash control on my Mamiya, so it will be overexposed.
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
12 Mar 2003 1:47PM
The film does have at least two stops latitude but the flash will be hard and will probably make the portraits very pale. It's a tricky one..here's where a clip test would be good!
Could you do that? Cut off a strip at the beginning and ask the lab to process as normal and see what happens. If you pull the processing I'm fairly sure the shadows would be affected as film is more tolerant to overexposure. Maybe pulling back on stop to ISO200 would be a safe point. The faces would probably need manual printing to bring the detail back.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.