Film - Developer Issue

WilliamRoar 12 188 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2011 6:39PM
Just developed a film today and I found this running through some of my pictures. Fault blamed to a dodgy spool/loaded incorrectly/debris. With other affected photos it was easily clones. Any way I could salvage this in Photoshop?

untitled-15.jpg

Ilford HP5 Plus 400 (35mm)
Scanned using an Epson Perfection V700 @ 300dpi

Thanks,
Will

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Dave_Collier 14 236 2 England
21 Mar 2011 7:02PM
This looks like a light leak at some point in your film handling. This could have occurred at any point from loading / unloading the camera, to a light leak in your darkroom or changing bag if you use one.

When you look at the strip of negatives, does the mark appear in the same place on each negative or does it spread into the film edges? If the fogging is present on the edges of the film it is definitely a light leak.

You could salvage it Photoshop, but it will be a long-winded process, if you use the dodge and burn tools should get you started.
21 Mar 2011 7:08PM
Same place in each affected photo. Sir said it is where the negative is touching itself on the spool. Definitely not a light leak.
spaceman 15 5.3k 3 Wales
21 Mar 2011 7:39PM
My first impression is that it's a light leak as well - particularly as it's in the same place on each frame. Would it be possible to shoot just the first few frames of a roll, with the same camera, to see if it happens again?
21 Mar 2011 7:45PM
It was only if a few photos. It is definitely not a leak.
21 Mar 2011 7:51PM
It's got the appearance of a light leak young fella! I'd suggest making a selection around the affected part, then try applying a black to transparent gradient along the length of it and experimenting with the opacity slider to try and match it up. ( Feather the selection.)
Alan_Warriner 14 545 England
21 Mar 2011 7:52PM
Dodge, burn, clone. Stiill not good though

untitled-15-copy.jpg

21 Mar 2011 8:42PM
Thanks for the help guys.
KenTaylor 15 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2011 9:18PM

Quote:Same place in each affected photo. Sir said it is where the negative is touching itself on the spool. Definitely not a light leak.

I suspect that Sir could be right.
If the neg appears milky in the affected area then try re fixing, it might clear.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.