Film hardeners

WilliamRoar 12 188 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2011 8:26PM
Today I was gifted with some needed fixer, a 5 litre bottle of Fotospeed FX30
On the bottle it gives dilution and times for paper and film. It says that it does not contain any hardeners.

I want to process film and prints, so can any of you suggest an appropriate universal film hardener I could use with this fix, and how to use it?

Thanks,
Will

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digiphoto 17 40 12 England
5 Jul 2011 8:53PM
I would not bother with film hardener. When I tried it many years ago I found it left the film more prone to scratches. Tony
Snapper Plus
15 4.4k 3 United States Outlying Islands
5 Jul 2011 8:55PM
Hi William

Congrats on your gift and you've asked a pretty fair question. By and large nowadays, films pretty much are already hardened and that's why many (most?) fixers are non-hardening. The exceptions tend to be European films like Efke and Adox which have a softer emulsion that can be more easily scratched when wet, and then a hardening fixer could be used. Be aware that use of a hardening fixer makes the film less easy to wash, so it would be counterproductive to use a hardening fixer with a film made by Ilford or Kodak or Fuji.

Have fun, Peter
WilliamRoar 12 188 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2011 10:05PM
Thanks all.
Graflex 16 488 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2011 12:47PM
Don't bother,William,like the rest have said here...anyway,it adds to the cost.

Frankly a waste of time.I souped thousand of rolls in my time for the media-and the negs are still in pristine condition.Avoid reading hype if you do you would never take a photo again throu' shear fear of doing something wrong.

The joy of photography is the anticipation that comes from within.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.