Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Enter ePHOTOzine's Prize Draw, with fab gifts for everyone! Click Here

Firewire card reader

Graywolf 8 1.0k United Kingdom
9 Dec 2010 3:46PM
Is it possible to get a compact flash card reader using firewire 400 or 800. If so could anyone recommend one please.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Freefall 12 675 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2010 4:47PM
You can get them but they're not popular (or cheap). Quick search of google (search for: firewire card reader) should provide sources. Sorry, can't recommend one - I use USB 2.0
hollkj Plus
11 202 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2010 5:55PM
Yes - I'm using a sandisk extreme firewire CF reader. Supports both 400 / 800. Mine's connected to a PCIe firewire800 card and with a good speed CF get around 38mb/sec off it.

Freefall is right though in that they are not cheap - 70 ish, but if you have a lot of large capacity cards the extra read speed is useful. The readers can also be stacked so if you can afford a few of them can download concurrently.

Be interesting to see if any USB 3 readers start hitting the market soon. There are also SATA to CF readers which are meant to be faster still but I've no experience of these.
User_Removed 11 17.9k 8 Norway
9 Dec 2010 5:58PM
I use a Lexar reader. Perfect.
Lexar link here
11 Dec 2010 7:29PM
Another vote for the Lexar reader look for the UDMA reader though, think there's a slower one. From memory it was about 50 well worth it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.