Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

First digital SLR?

JN 13 7 England
8 Dec 2007 11:09AM
I'd like to purchase a DSLR. I'm beginning to get to grips with lens focal length differences between different camera's but what I really need to know is what are the most important aspects to consider whilst viewing prior to purchase of a model around the 4-600 range to include a zoom lens with a wide facility. I believe a big chip is better than a little chip and a low 'crop' ratio is better than a high figure. Where can I find all this and more explained in a simple manner that my non-digital grey matter can cope with.
thanks.
peter_davey 15 1.4k England
8 Dec 2007 11:24AM
Coupe of things to ask yourself,

What type of photogrpaphy are you likely to do ?
Family, sports, landscapes, wildlife, macro etc etc.

I personally wouldn't worry about the crop factor. That's not even on my list of considerations when choosing a new camera.

Pick the camera up , see where the controls are, how does it feel in your hands, again personally I found the Canon 5D (outside your price range) too small in my hands same with the Nikon D40.

Watch out for lens compatibility issues with the Nikon D40x.

Zooms vary from short to long - if you want an all in one lens look at the 18-200. If you're just starting out then this might be a good choice.
richard00 14 504 1
8 Dec 2007 11:28AM
Digital SLR photography [december magazine] has 8 sub 600 slrs reviewed
400 gets you a 400D and then 170ish would get a Sigma 18-125, leaves enough cash for a tripod.
mattw 17 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
8 Dec 2007 1:06PM
I think the bottom line is that all of the manufactures produce execlent camears at this price range, so you really cannot go too far wrong.

When you buy an SLR, you are buying into a system - so concider the lenses you may want in the future.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.