Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

First flash - do I need ttl?

c7fnt 7 35 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2016 10:11AM
Hi all,
I am looking at getting my first speed light flash. Don't want to spend loads just in case I dont use it.
Question do I need ttl? I am looking to mainly use it for off camera still life stuff..
I have seen some yongnuo flashes that seem pretty good and have good reviews.

Thoughts and advice please....

Chris

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
26 Nov 2016 10:16AM
Off camera then ttl is not really needed but may be useful if using a dedicated lead and for the odd occasion you may want to use it on camera.

Yongnuo do get good write ups and are reasonably priced.

You will find that light modifiers and reflectors will be useful for still life photography.
arhb 12 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2016 11:27AM
Yongnuo everytime.
Get one with TTL, and a radio trigger/receiver system, which are all reasonably priced, then you have the option to do manual or ttl.
Check this out
26 Nov 2016 1:23PM
Thanks guys.
I had been looking at the 560 IV unit with a wireless trigger but this isn't ttl..

Still might go with it and see how much I use it and then upgrade to ttl later.

Would I need ttl for off camera use?
26 Nov 2016 2:06PM

Quote:

Would I need ttl for off camera use?

It would save you from walking over to the flash and back, to make any adjustments, that can be made on the control unit in your hotshoe.

I say all this as someone who has been using manual off camera flash for several years now, but I do plan to upgrade to TTL in the new year, with a system that has HSS, controllable via the hotshoe unit.
26 Nov 2016 2:18PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181950161406

Been looking at this.

Can I control the flash remotely from this controller?
saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 38 Norway
26 Nov 2016 4:52PM

Quote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181950161406

Been looking at this.

Can I control the flash remotely from this controller?

Yepp. I bought that controller and 2 of those flashes for exactly that purpose. They are good and reliable flashes, and with the controller you can adjust all the settings on the flashes remotely.
26 Nov 2016 4:57PM
So would you recommend them as a first flash?
saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 38 Norway
26 Nov 2016 6:08PM

Quote:So would you recommend them as a first flash?

If you mean on camera, then I can't really say as I only ever use them off camera...having said that, they do get very positive feedback from those who do use them on camera.
26 Nov 2016 6:31PM
For the different types of photography I do I can't see me using it on camera at all.
26 Nov 2016 10:35PM

Quote:So would you recommend them as a first flash?

YES.
And he meant yes too.
29 Nov 2016 11:36AM
If you have doubts about needing it, then you probably dont need it !

Personally, I hate the results from on-camera flash, so never use it. Off camera I use remote IR triggers with single or multiple Cobras, but these are simple triggers with no TTL. That means test shots etc, so not much use for spontaneous photos. Suits me fine for studio portraits, still life etc.

As for the flashes, I bought second hand canon flashes, not quite the latest technology, but bargain prices and robust construction etc.
Chrism8 13 934 26 England
29 Nov 2016 12:27PM
If you can already or learn to operate Flash on manual, this is imo much more creative than TTL, giving much better control, I use up to 3 Quadra's on outdoor shoots and mix these with studio lights as required, mainly for the extra power to " White Out " a background and also add in a Speedlight if necessary.
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
29 Nov 2016 6:48PM

Quote:First flash - do I need ttl

No, but TTL will make the learning experience more fun.
JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
1 Dec 2016 1:17PM
For " still life stuff.." you have plenty of time to manual adjust the flash and take the shot again.
But
If you have subjects moving in and out of frame then TTL can be a massive help.

The Yongnuo one Arhb mentions are great and for around 60 include TTL and offer highspeed sync too - good for your water drops.
You can use TTL one's in manual mode too - so best of both worlds - get TTL.

You will probably want a proper wireless trigger, rather than the optical on camera trigger from the flash.
Again look at the link Arhb sent.

I did buy a non TTL flash once - Its my least used flashgun.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.