Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 10 Ultimate

First sale on Alamy, but who to?

Phil_D 13 81 Scotland
23 Feb 2008 11:55AM
Hi all

Haven't been on EPZ for a while - just too many other things to do . . . .

Anyway, I'm chuffed to bits as I've just made my first sale via Alamy - not quite time to tell the boss where to stick it and follow my dreams, but its a start!

I would really like to see the finished item in print, and i ma just wondering if there is any known way of finding where the image is actually going to appear. My Alamy summary lists the buyer as a UK magazine with a circulation of up to 100 000 . . . . well that narrows it down a bit!

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Phil.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
23 Feb 2008 12:07PM
Have you asked them? Smile
Phil_D 13 81 Scotland
23 Feb 2008 12:22PM

Quote:Sadly Alamy used to give it out but some people decided to market direct tot he customer cutting Alamy out of the loop and annoying the clients with unsolicited marketing.

So Alamy stopped and do not divulge client information anymore.

No I haven't, but I suspect I wouldn't get very far . . .
mjsayles 14 1.0k
23 Feb 2008 1:03PM
Alamy will not tell you who bought it, understandably (if they told you, you could then apoproach the customer and offer it to them directly for less than Alamy charge, but with you getting more due to the lack of a commission charge).

When I made my first Alamy sale (a fiction paperback cover, about 4 or 5 years ago) I asked ifthey'd tell me, and they said no, no chance! Like I say, that was at least 4 years ago, so it must have been in their very early days that they did reveal this info.

There is (or was) a Yahoo group called something like Alamy Pro. They have a a couple of spreadsheets on there that you can download, which list all Alamy sales that members have noticed in print and logged. Despite making dozens of Alamy sales to UK customers, none of my sales were in there, so it's obviously not very comprehensive. Furthermore, I don't how often it's updated these days (if at all).

Unfortunately, the only real chance you have of finding just where your image has been used is by using the details of the license and a bit of detective work - but like you say, the specified terms of the license often arent much help.

Good luck, and well done on the sale!!
Phil_D 13 81 Scotland
23 Feb 2008 1:06PM
Thanks Michael

Phil
23 Feb 2008 1:22PM

Quote:understandably

Not necessarily... Smile
Phil_D 13 81 Scotland
23 Feb 2008 1:54PM
It doesn't really matter if it is understandable or not, the fact is they will not tell you . . . Smile
mjsayles 14 1.0k
23 Feb 2008 2:19PM

Quote:Not necessarily...

If Alamy was your baby, would you give people the opportunity to use your service simply to advertise themselves, without making any money from it whatsoever yourself? I wouldn't, and if you did, you'd be out of business pretty quick. Noble, maybe, but out of business Smile

It would be very nice if they did tell, but *I* think it's prefectly undertsandable that they don't.

Somebody once argued that Alamy should tell the photographer once the customer has made the payment (I think they have 45 days to pay up). But the point is, a fair few sales are of a repeat nature - once the license expires the customer often comes back to renew the license. I've had three sales that have been renewed upon expiry of the existing license - two were a year long license, one was three years. If Alamy had told me exact details of the original sale (once the customer had paid up) I could have contacted the customer and said "in the event that you want to re-use the image on expiry of the license in a year or two, give me a shout, and let's cut out the middleman for both our benefit".

It's a simple case of a business protecting their commercial interests.
SteveCharles 17 2.3k 18 England
23 Feb 2008 3:00PM
But if the client wanted to deal with you directly it wouldn't be hard for them to find you as they have your name.
23 Feb 2008 3:01PM
Ever heard of confidentiality agreements? It's not unreasonable for a photographer to request a copy of published work for his/her records.

That's what I mean by

Quote:Not necessarily...

Smile
Phil_D 13 81 Scotland
23 Feb 2008 3:39PM

Quote:That's what I mean by

Perhaps you could have been a little less cryptic in your original post . . . Wink

From my own point of view, the main reason for using Alamy is that they do all the 'leg work' - if I had the time and inclination to make direct contact with publishers etc, then thats what I would be doing, not waiting for an 'in' from Alamy . . . .

I just want to see my pic in print, nothing sinister!

Phil.
dasantillo 14 231 1 Wales
23 Feb 2008 4:03PM
The two stock libraries that sell my photos from two areas of the UK always include who bought the image and what it was used for on my sales reports. Because of that, I've been able to request the appropriate brochure of buy the magazine to get a copy of my photo in print. It is a little disappointing that Alamy don't in my opinion.

KR

Dan.
Fujiconvert 15 1.3k England
23 Feb 2008 5:21PM
My agency tells me who they have sold my work to however,this could have been in the past months or it could have been bought for future publication.
I don't give a toss who they sell to as long as they do and I get the money! Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.