Want to sell your photos? Get Started!

Fixing the Internet

keith selmes 15 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
16 Dec 2016 9:16AM
This article describes the benefits of anonymity on the Internet, but also the problem that "nobody can tell if you’re a troll. Or a hacker. Or a bot "
He goes on to say the lack of secure identification and authentication has also prevented easy transactions, thwarted financial inclusion, destroyed the business models of content creators.

It sounds fanciful to me to think we can change the Internet that radically, but he says
"Most internet engineers think that these reforms are possible",including Vint Cerf, the original TCP/IP coauthor" and this could be "a voluntary system, for those who want to use it, to have verified identification and authentication".

I wonder what photographers think about that ? Is it beneficial for the photographer as a content creator ?

Personally I find it frustrating that so many people are sharing images without attribution. Apart from anything else, if I like an image, I'd like to know who the original creator was. I'd like to see what else they've done, maybe learn more about the image itself.

The internet is broken. Starting from scratch, here's how I'd fix it.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Fma7 4 927 United Kingdom
16 Dec 2016 12:55PM
Problem is it couldn't be done piecemeal

Quote:Build chips and machines that update the notion of an internet packet. For those who want, their packets could be encoded or tagged with metadata that describe what they contain and give the rules for how it can be used.

It's no use me tagging/encoding at my end if the receiving end doesn't know (or ignores) the rules .
4k78l 3 278 1 New Caledonia
16 Dec 2016 2:48PM
Opinions are opinions, actions are actions.

Anyhow:

Fma7 4 927 United Kingdom
16 Dec 2016 5:28PM

Quote:Opinions are opinions, actions are actions.

and tautologies are tautologies
redhed17 13 862 England
16 Dec 2016 10:55PM
Ah, remove the possibility for easy anonymity, and everyone and everything can be tracked. While Trolls could in theory be easily found, dissidents and and those fighting tyranny or oppression, or even those who disagreed with their democratically elected Government could be tracked too. What would happen to those people who can say, depends on the regime people are disagreeing with. I would rather people have to deal with Trolls and Cyberbullying rather than anyone come to any real physical harm somewhere because they are unable to stay anonymous.

The totalitarian states can already control the internet in there own countries for the general population.

I think we in the UK are about to officially have our internet browsing history to able to be examined by 48 departments of the Government. The Food Standards Scotland can potentially look at the browsing history on my computers.

I have little doubt that the Government have done similar things in the past, but now they can do it officially. I would rather not give up my anonymity.

The problem with setting up a voluntary system to opt into, is that eventually it could be forced whether you like it or not.

Quote:The benefits would be many: Easy and secure ways to deal with your finances and medical records.
Don't we already have that? Millions of people are Banking online every day, with seemingly hardly anyone getting the finances hacked.

Quote:Small payment systems that could reward valued content rather than the current incentive to concentrate on clickbait for advertising.
If someone wants to set up there content to be behind a system people are willing to pay for, they can. Netflix, Amazon etc seem to be making it work.

Quote:Less hacking, spamming, cyberbullying, trolling, and the spewing of anonymous hate.
Horrible things for sure, but I would rather not be tracked because none of that really affects me, and I don't think it affects most people.

Quote:And the possibility of a more civil discourse.
Some people don't care if they are known, they can still be uncivil in the stuff they post and say.

JackAllTog Plus
10 5.5k 58 United Kingdom
20 Dec 2016 1:22PM
There are companies like pixelrights that offer image protection - this approach might 'fix' it for photographers who are prepared to pay.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.