Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Flash

Tutterzzz 14 160 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2007 5:11PM
What hotshoe/external flashes etc, whatever you like to call them could i get for my 400d, under 200 which can be remotely fired without the use of a computer,

im wanting to try a technique with really long exposures of say a rundown building but inside theres red lighting the inside up and say on the outside theres blue, i know this is done via a remote flash and something called gels? being used. this would be alot easier if stores gave details telling me what hotshoes can be remotely released but so far i havent found any that do and was hoping one of you lovely people could reccommend me a few Smile

heres a good example

http: //farm1.static.flickr.com/205/466676117_7745cd69a9_o.jpg

remove the space
GPTek 15 460 1 England
22 Apr 2007 6:12PM
I think the best explanation I can find is from Dave Hirst (Tandberg) who has an excellent example here , just scroll through the comments for the explanation.
Though I've not tried this technique yet myself, basically you're working in the dark with a very long exposure. Moving around firing a flashgun on manual and because you're moving relatively quickly compared to the exposure, you don't show on the image.

HTH Geoff
nikon5700ite 17 1.8k
23 Apr 2007 12:13AM
I found no expranation at the link so ....

First you need to know the Guide Number of your flash unit.
Let's say it is a small unit with 56 as it's GN. This means that when using 100ISO and with the flash ten feet from the subject you use f/5.6. Step closer to five feet and 56/5 gives you f/11. Step right back to fifteen feet flash to subject distance and you use f/4. You should be able to work out the GN from the engravings or dials on the back of the unit.

With this example which I shot back in 1954 as an apprentice news-tog, around when the first 'lightweight' electronic flash units came on the market by Mecablitz we had been shooting the 'important VIPs' gassing around while the light dropped so I walked around the plane shooting one or more flashes off on different parts of the plane according to the flash to subject distance. f/5.6 gave me a ten foot workign distance but if the subject was fifteen feet away I gave two flashes, twenty feet away four flashes.
You can count the flash reflections on the doorway at front of plane. Sorry the quality is not the best becuase it is a copy of a copy and no negative availible to me these days.

In those days all we had to worry about were the Russians so no terrorist restrictions on wandering around the place Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.