Save Up To 75% On Regatta Clearance Clothing & Accessories

Flash for 20D

gemm 16 800 United Kingdom
25 Feb 2005 12:23PM
Pete,

Sorry to hear that you weren't happy with the shots at rehearsal. What was wrong? Not fast enough shutter speed? I think what you may need is a fast prime lens, e.g. 85mm f1.8, or even 50mm f1.4 or f1.8 if you can get closer to the stage.
croberts 16 2.2k 8 Ireland
25 Feb 2005 12:55PM

Quote:The quality and tone of the flash took my breath away, every shot was perfectly exposed, much more accuratly than the 550 ever has

Indeed. I was playing with a metz CL-4 the other night, attached to my 10D. Couldnt fool it at all. Beautiful colours, and spot on exposures everytime. Knock the spots off e-ttl anyday.

Chris
lloydy 16 18 Wales
25 Feb 2005 1:06PM
Gemm, you're right about the shutter speed - too slow. They were OK but not quite right, as you said a faster lens would have given a better result but not as much detail because of the distance grom the stage.
Pete
Just Jas 19 26.3k 1 England
25 Feb 2005 4:40PM

Quote:Do they mind, does it affect the performance for the actors and audience and what sensible steps should togs take?

I normally shoot at the dress rehearsal. However, for one show one set of the performers were not there at the dress rehearsal. So I had to shoot their pictures on the first night.

The performers didn't object but the paying audience did. I accordingly only took a couple of shots with flash and then shot a couple more frames available light lens wide open.

On this occasion the performance was in a public theatre, whereas the group normally performed in a local hall.

jas
UserRemoved 17 4.2k
25 Feb 2005 5:49PM

Quote:What do the actors/producers/people in charge at stage based events think about flash bulbs going off all the time?

Bad Idea. Easiest way to have a flashgun enema.

Quote:
Do they mind, does it affect the persormance for the actors and audience and what sensible steps should togs take?

Yes they do mind, quite a bit.

Sensible? No flash, fast ISO, fast lens.
spacey 17 376
26 Feb 2005 1:04AM
Wrong end ? What lighting are the actors using, a flourescent strip light in the school hall, try to get them to improve the lighting at the other end, no fast lens or high iso can put back detail lost by poor light and poor shadows, if not where are you in the uk, Im sure some one local could lend you a 70-200 f2.8, bang it on a tripod with cable release and you wont be far away on iso 800,I once had to shoot a hall in similar circumstances, I used a jessops clamp on step ladders at the back of the hall, cable release, eos1d, iso 800 with my 80-200 f2.8 tokina atxp which is a damn sight sharper than my 70-200 canon at f2.8, but at f4 upwards the canon has the edge ? they thought the pictures were great, I thought I was very lucky to get paid,I found out afterwards they had stage lighting but nobody knew how the contoler worked, duhh
lloydy 16 18 Wales
27 Feb 2005 4:20AM
Got hold of my Dads Metz ct1 45- forgot that he had it, uses it with his Pentax - charging up the batteries as I type, will try it out later
Thanks for the help
Pete
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
27 Feb 2005 4:26AM
Have you got the Canon adaptor for it?

Otherwise it's a nonstarter.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.