Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Flash Gun for Canon EOS 5D

LauraVest 15 33 United Kingdom
7 Jan 2010 2:10PM
Hi Guys & Gals,

Sorry if this question has been asked before - I did have a quick look through the forums and couldn't find the answer there.

I am looking to rent or buy (depending on price) a flash-gun for my Canon Eos 5D. I've been thinking about it for a while but have just been asked to cover a couple of fashion shows for a friend and think I may need one for this. I only have one lens 24mm-105mm f4. I haven't done a fashion show before so don't know if that entails and specific requirements for flash. I have studio lights but nothing portable that I could take along.

I don't know if a hot-shoe mounted flash is better than a hammer-head style or what?! Its been years since I used one back in my college days. Any advice or suggestions would be really welcome.

Thanks

Laura
QuentinS 16 26 United Kingdom
7 Jan 2010 2:20PM

Quote:
I am looking to rent or buy (depending on price) a flash-gun for my Canon Eos 5D. I've been thinking about it for a while but have just been asked to cover a couple of fashion shows for a friend and think I may need one for this.

Hi Laura,

I tried to rent a flash gun for a shoot in June to no avail. There may be kit for Canon out there, I am a Pentax man myself.

When I asked a similar question here back then I received some good advice that pointed me to Metz Mecablitz guns. These seem to be pretty good for the money, SRS Microsystems have them, the ones that can have their firmware updated by USB link seem to be a good buy.

I have the 48 AF-1 for my Pentax K-m (thanks Santa!) and so far it's brilliant although I haven't tried it for a real shoot yet.

Quentin
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
7 Jan 2010 2:58PM
The canon flash system is not well documented (I think they like to keep it a secret) so I have heard of 3rd party guns working for some models, but not carrying forward to newer models.

to be safe I have stuck with canon's own, and the 430EX was made to compliment your lens on your camera from memory, in terms of its zoom function etc. Stick to EX guns from Canon, the EZ ones are not fully digital compatible. The 550EX adds more features and power, and the 580EX is the newer version of that gun.

Me I find the 430EX an excellent gun for my uses.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.