Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Flash options for Fuji Mirrorless cameras?

8 Jan 2017 8:58PM
I am in the process of selling my slr gear and am going to be converting to Fuji mirrorless cameras to photograph weddings. Can anyone recommend.

1. A good compatible flash for on the camera suitable for wedding photography.

2. Also I sometimes like to work with a flash of the camera with a shoot through brolly. Can anyone recommend compatible triggers so I can trigger of camera flash from the cameras flash.

I have yongnuo speedlites and triggers for my canon gear. Will this work with Fuji. It would be good to know so I know whether to keep them or not.

thanks for any help.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

RoyBoy 15 303 2 United Kingdom
8 Jan 2017 9:14PM
I don't know whether this helps but I have recently sold my Canon DSLR cameras and lenses, moving completely over to the Olympus MFT system. I didn't sell my 4 Canon flashguns and PocketWizards because I can use them with the Olympus camera's and have the benefit of controlling the flashgun output from the camera, via the PW Controller. In checking all this out beforehand I recall reading that similar functionality is also available to Fuji users.
Munro 11 45 United Kingdom
8 Jan 2017 9:32PM
If you look to another brand, consider the Nissin i40 as a starting point.
Ross_D Plus
5 838 1 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2017 12:39PM
Another vote for the Nissin i40.......... have used one for about 6 months with my X-T1 (not used it for weddings though !). Good value IMO for around 150.

Although a devoted Fuji fan, I have to say their range of flash equipment is sadly lacking.
saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 38 Norway
9 Jan 2017 12:46PM

Quote:I have yongnuo speedlites and triggers for my canon gear. Will this work with Fuji. It would be good to know so I know whether to keep them or not.

I have the X-T2 and use 2 x Yongnuo YN650 IV's plus a YN650-TX trigger. Bought as a package on Am azon for 140
Works perfectly.
Used these on my Canon 5Diii before changing to Fuji. Smile

Malc
Chrism8 13 934 26 England
9 Jan 2017 1:09PM
If the Canon triggers have a centre pin, they should work with your Fuji kit in manual mode, IMO the best mode for flash anyway as this gives you much greater control.

Give the a try is the best answer

Chris
RoyBoy 15 303 2 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2017 1:22PM
That's a good point Chris. I forgot to mention in my earlier post that you need to tape over all but the centre on the camera hotshoe for the Canon PW transmitter to work with the Canon sppedlights, especially if the other points on the hotshoe and the transmitter align. Initially I couldn't get my Olympus/PW/Canon speed lights to work and this was the problem. The alignment of the other pins caused confusion.
9 Jan 2017 3:22PM
What flashes are ettl for Fuji as I require to flash to communicate with the camera?
Chrism8 13 934 26 England
9 Jan 2017 7:31PM
If you can take the flash off camera and learn a little of the technical side which is fairly easy, your images will benefit hughly rather than trusting to on camera and ETTL.

Chris

Andy_Curtis 5 808 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2017 3:32PM
Nissin i40! I had one on my Olympus and now my Fuji. I used it, and my XT1 to shoot my sisters Henna (not hen) night and her weddin. could be a little more powerful like the i60, but did a great job.

here is a link to my youtube video of the i40 for Fuji. (if I am allowed to post the link)

Also, ignore the fact that I refer to my Olympus one as an i30... I have no idea why I thought it was an i30.

https://youtu.be/9ybCjuN1WLg
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
10 Jan 2017 9:04PM

Quote:I am in the process of selling my slr gear and am going to be converting to Fuji mirrorless cameras to photograph weddings. Can anyone recommend.

1. A good compatible flash for on the camera suitable for wedding photography.

2. Also I sometimes like to work with a flash of the camera with a shoot through brolly. Can anyone recommend compatible triggers so I can trigger of camera flash from the cameras flash.

I have yongnuo speedlites and triggers for my canon gear. Will this work with Fuji. It would be good to know so I know whether to keep them or not.

thanks for any help.

Your Yongnuo`s should be fine (for manual flash only)

If you want a good sized TTL unit look at the EF-X500, its just about the only flash made by Fuji that is really suitable for off camera use, others including third party units tend to only go as far as a GN of 40 or 42 for the most part.
cevr251 5 8 United States
11 Jul 2017 5:37AM
I have the Yongnou flashes and they work well, but Godox just came out with the tt350f for fuji cameras. Great flash, does ttl and HSS, much smaller and compact to. Plus the have built in transmitters. For $85 (US), I think I'll get another one!
Pottzi 8 3 United Kingdom
2 May 2018 10:49AM
I have just bought the Godox TT685f flash and the Godox X1Tf which give both TTL and high speed sync. I'm very impressed so far. 136 for both on Amazon.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.