The Totally Tamron Website Is Back! Visit Today For All Things Tamron

Flash trigger voltage converter

svengali_uk 15 470
29 Mar 2007 1:29PM
Thought that those following this thread might find the attached reply from Metz interesting. My CT1 is No 655363 so at least I will be safe, if somewhat restricted.

Dear Jeremy,
be aware there were some different models of 45 CT...such as 45 CT-1, 45 CT-3, 45 CT-4 and 45 CT-5. In regard of a 45 CT-1 you should read one of our FAQ's below www.metz.de saying:

Can the mecablitz 45 CT-1 also be used with the new autofocus or digital cameras?
Regretfully, the Metz mecablitz 45 CT-1 does not yet have the connecting capabilities of the Metz SCA adapter system. Consequently, no corresponding adapter is available for combination with autofocus cameras. The Metz mecablitz 45 CT-1 can therefore only be connected to such cameras with a standard synchronisation cable.
Furthermore, it is necessary to note that Metz mecablitz 45 CT-1 units featuring a model number that is smaller than 534 000 are fitted with a so-called high voltage ignition circuit. These flash units must not be directly connected to modern cameras as this could even damage the camera.
All other flash units of the Metz mecablitz 45 CT and 45 CL series feature a low-voltage ignition circuit in keeping with the current standard.

All other mentioned 45 CT flash units were already loaded with a low voltage trigger according ISO10330 allowing a trigger voltage from 3.5V to 24V. Therefore, these kind of flash units (unfortunately, the exact type of your was not mentioned) can be used safely with any analogue and digital camera as well a 20D.

But, digital cameras of type Canon 20D are exclusively loaded with a so-called E-TTL flash control which is not supported by any 45 unit. Unfortunately, true TTL usual with analogue cameras is no longer offered by a anymore. Any up-date of these flash units to achieve E-TTL is not possible. Adapters cannot be used to solve that problem. Therefore, your 45 CT can only be used in simple auto flash mode with manual settings. For it the camera must be set in manual mode on the same F-stop and ISO as used on flash unit (set on A mode). Unfortunately, any programmes and Tv set on camera are not possible. For a connection of them an ordinary sync cable is enough. See also "SCA adapter" & "ARCHIVE with..." on www.metz.de.
For fully dedicated flash mode with your camera suitable flash units are shown below "flashlight recommendation" such as 28 AF-3C v2, 44 AF-4C V2, 58 AF-1C as well as SCA flash units like 54 MZ-4i, 45 CL-4 digital or 76 MZ-5 digital which can be connected with adapter SCA3102 M3. See also www.metz.de.
In regard to having one of the mentioned above flash units we recommend to get in touch with our agent in your country INTRO2020. See: http://www.metz.de/en/service_support/photo_electronics.134.html
jim@intro2020.co.uk

best regards

Lutz Goeschel
Technical support

Metz-Werke GmbH & Co KG
Ohmstraße 55, D-90513 Zirndorf

eMail: mailto: lutz.goeschel@metz.de
Internet: http://www.metz.de

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
29 Mar 2007 8:55PM
This is a similar response that I got from Lutz around 18months ago Jeremy when I was enquiring about using my 45 CT-3 on my D70. Hence my statements on trigger voltages so far and my continuing to use it, albeit on the D200 now. Granted - no SCA adaptation but I did always prefer to use it manually. I even use my SB600 predominantly on manual LOL!!
svengali_uk 15 470
30 Mar 2007 8:04PM
Another flasgun that I have aquired (And forgotten about!) is a Sunpack Auto Zoom 3600 Thyristor.
I believe that this is a Minolta dedicated unit, but have seen that someone used it on a Canon A1.
Does anyone have any information on this unit, and wether it would respond to my 20D.
The obvious answer is to "suck it and see", but could any of the more technically minded suggest some test configurations that will allow me to check just what facilities are still operating (Sumpack and Canon 300TL units)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.