Flickr, Good or bad?

User_Removed 16 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
4 Sep 2011 8:03PM
Graham, test your theory out, pop into Tesco and start telling their customers about things which are better at Sainsbury and see if the Tesco management find it really useful.

Quote:I wonder if Tesco ignores Sainsburys.

No you don't.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CaptivePhotons 17 1.7k 2 England
4 Sep 2011 8:07PM
No, they'd pay somebody a hefty sum to do the market research for them.
keith selmes 16 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
4 Sep 2011 11:11PM

Quote:Unless I missed a post somewhere I have not seen any links to Flickr in this or the original thread. The OP was merely asking why Flickr was viewed as 'the devil incarnate'.
I didn't say the original thread did have any links. I haven't seen any links to Flickr recently myself. I did see someone inviting people to view their work on Flickr, but I don't remember a link.
But the answer is still the same, flickr is viewed as competition for this site, and viewed by some epzers as inferior, so a negative reaction may be experienced. As an explanation, I think thats about it.

As I've said before I don't myself consider other sites to be competing, they usually have a different character and emphasis, and I see them as complementary rather than competitive. But if people are encouraged away from Epz, I can understand that being seen as a problem.
Overread 12 4.1k 19 England
5 Sep 2011 12:28AM
For me its always a confusing point with regard to flickr and EPZ if only because I view EPZ mostly as forum based site (its how I personally interact with it most) with an added gallery for limited works display (ie one a day) - and I generally use an image host to show photos on almost all the other forums I use and I suspect I'm not the only one.

So I'm never that against flickr nor viewing it directly as the competition simply because they are two separate services in my mind - one complimenting the other mostly (ie image host allowing one to display the photos that one then talks about in the forum interface); just like having a dedicated serverspace of ones own to host or any of the other image hosts like Imageshack or Photobucket - for EPZ (at least in my mind) to be in direct competition with flickr they'd have to shift from a gallery interface to an imagehost interface.
Nick_w Plus
13 4.3k 99 England
5 Sep 2011 7:02AM
I'm not clear what you mean. What's the difference between a gallery host and an image host ? Different names for the same thing?

Like many, I too have accounts on both and others. I don't particularly like flickr, very old interface. But what it does have is a very international feel, less perocial.

I stumbled across quite a few good photographers on there and on other sites , from Google. I used to search the gallery function on here but long since gave up preferring Google (even when it's EPZ related - just type ephotozine in the search bar together with the query).

There have been several international photographers that have dipped there toes in the waters of EPZ over the years only to stop contributing (I know there are some exceptions) I can't for the life of me understand why. There is some amazing talent from the old Eastern block, from Iberia for example, I see many of them on EPZ competitors sites.

So for me one area EPZ could be improved, is not design, more features etc, but more talent in the galleries - of all genres not just the populist ones. What do we need to do to help this - could we be more welcoming? remembering English is not the first language of many of these guys (and gals), so much of the banter will be alien to them.
joolsb 15 27.1k 38 Switzerland
5 Sep 2011 7:59AM
Like others, I view EPZ and Flickr as entirely complementary and regularly upload to both. What Flickr offers that EPZ doesn't (or, at least, not in such depth) is the ease with which you can surround yourself with a group of like-minded people to the extent that you never have any need to venture outside that group unless you want to. Yes, I know there is 'favourite photographers' but where Flickr scores is with the possibility to see, at a glance, recent comments on images you have uploaded as well as photographs to which you have contributed comments. This faclitates more of a dialogue with commenters than the EPZ 'fire and forget' style of commenting.

The other plus, as Nick mentioned, is that Flickr doesn't suffer from the parochial nature of EPZ - either in style of images or geography. The range of styles in the landscape genre, for example, is far greater than here where the 'EPZ Standard Landscape' is dominant.

EPZ is a lot stronger on the forum side where being parochial is much more of a strength since it forges a single community rather than the many unconnected 'island' communities on Flickr.

On balance, neither is better. They both have pros and cons.
Nick_w Plus
13 4.3k 99 England
5 Sep 2011 8:15AM
A lot of what you ask for Jools is available in the new Buzz feature. You can also click to see the comments back when you post a comment on here, I don't use it , but I think it goes into the buzz notification.

I don't like the "post one comment five" feature in many of Flickr's groups, talk about click fishing.
joolsb 15 27.1k 38 Switzerland
5 Sep 2011 8:29AM

Quote:A lot of what you ask for Jools is available in the new Buzz feature. You can also click to see the comments back when you post a comment on here, I don't use it , but I think it goes into the buzz notification.

True but I turn all notifications off as I don't like getting all those extra emails. The buzz thing is sort of similar but the big advantage of the approach Flickr takes is that you can see everything on one page whereas here you have to click on different features.

Quote:I don't like the "post one comment five" feature in many of Flickr's groups, talk about click fishing.

Neither do I. But then I simply don't join those groups.
Carabosse 17 41.4k 270 England
5 Sep 2011 2:44PM
Flickr is primarily a photo storage site isn't it? Not greatly different from Photobucket?
Jestertheclown 11 8.2k 253 England
5 Sep 2011 3:19PM
I've never really understood the reticence of this site to allow its members to express an interest in other photographic sites.
I once, quite innocently and a long time ago, started a hread in which I asked if anyone knew of other sites, perhaps similar to this which I could look at. It garnered about four replies before the shutters were slammed firmly down upon it.
I can see that coming here purely to link to somewhere else could be frowned upon but I can't see why people can't discuss other sites and their relative virtues without that old "Sainsbury's v Tesco" yarn being brought out again.
After all, there are links everywhere you look to "Facebook" and its like. Or is that somehow different?

Jester.
5 Sep 2011 3:25PM

Quote:I'm not clear what you mean. What's the difference between a gallery host and an image host ? Different names for the same thing?

Ahh but the difference is that on flickr I can upload a 1000s of photos per day if I so choose - plus I can upload at fullsize or resized (again my choice). Its primary function is an image host - to host and store the photos online.

EPZ on the other hand is much more restrictive on what I can upload - its a gallery designed more to show off the work I have produced at a set format and size/scale, rather than to provide me with a hosting service. You can even see this in the fact that EPZ does not auto-generate links to display photos hosted on its servers in other sites.
CaptivePhotons 17 1.7k 2 England
5 Sep 2011 3:36PM
But given the choice, ePz every time Grin
Nick_w Plus
13 4.3k 99 England
5 Sep 2011 3:50PM

Quote:I can see that coming here purely to link to somewhere else could be frowned upon but I can't see why people can't discuss other sites and their relative virtues without that old "Sainsbury's v Tesco" yarn being brought out again.
After all, there are links everywhere you look to "Facebook" and its like. Or is that somehow different?

Jester, Facebooks primary function is a social media site not a photographic site. After all EPZ and its competitors are commercial enterprises, who have a very tight market to aim for - they are all competing for revenue be it from subscriptions, or advertising. If all EPZ were to do were provide a nice link to its competitor - as an advertiser who would you advertise with - the one that said "here why not see how good our competitor is" - or the one that protects its market identity? , oh and increasing their competitors search engine ranking in the process.

I don't see links to EPZ on any of the other sites. At least here you can discuss the others (within reason) I don't see that been reciprocated on any of the other photo sites.
Carabosse 17 41.4k 270 England
5 Sep 2011 3:52PM
It's a good point. I wonder what Flickr's reaction would be if people started putting up links to EPZ on it.

Might be worth a try! Wink
5 Sep 2011 4:09PM
Actually there are fair few forums that have flickr groups of their own. From flickr's point of view its no bad thing since their social aspects of their site are secondary to their main hosting function - so forums using their site is really to be expected.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.