PortraitPro Flash Sale - 50% Off + Get An Extra 20% Off with Code: EZ89

Flickr, Good or bad?

keith selmes 16 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2011 5:17PM

Quote:on flickr I can upload a 1000s of photos per day if I so choose
that might be why I've seen it as such a mess

Quote:EPZ on the other hand is much more restrictive on what I can upload
I think so. On a slightly different tack, I have recently been looking at a set of images on Flickr which are not photos at all. In this case I knew what it was about and what I was there for, so I see how Flickr can be useful, if I'm in the know as it were. By contrast Ephotozine is primarily photographic and a sort of review or critique gallery. We do have digital art on ephotozine, and I think Pete is quite interested in that, but it seems to be mainly manipulated photos, and discussion about totally digital images can be quite acrimonious here. Whereas Flickr people don't seem at all concerned.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown 11 8.2k 253 England
5 Sep 2011 6:13PM

Quote:Jester, Facebooks primary function is a social media site not a photographic site.

I understand that Nick. It's impossible these days to get away from Facebook.
Which is why I mentioned it. It was mooted on here a while ago that Epz. members were (perhaps) migrating to Facebook and posting their images on there because of its social networking position. Agreed, Flickr's a bit more photographiocally inclined bit it still has a social network aspect to it yet Facebook links are plastered all over the site.
I'm not suggesting that Epz. should advertiose other sites or carry links to them. It just seems that it's almost taboo to even name one of them. How many times have we seen a member post a link in these forums, or just name a name and then say "I hope I'm allowed to put that there."
I realise that Epz.'s a business but sometimes the concern with naming or mentioning other sites seems, to me at least, just a tiny bit paranoid.
CaptivePhotons 17 1.7k 2 England
5 Sep 2011 6:45PM

Quote:I realise that Epz.'s a business but sometimes the concern with naming or mentioning other sites seems, to me at least, just a tiny bit paranoid

I think naming other sites is acceptable as long as you do not promote or extol the virtues of the site to the detriment of ePz.

To go back to the analogy of Tesco/Sainsbury, whilst it might be fine to chat about Tesco while in Sainsburys, if you start shouting and raising placards, you will in all likelihood be asked to vacate the premises. It's all about common sense at the end of the day.
StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
5 Sep 2011 7:40PM
I just looked at Flickr for the first time, interesting. I like the options where one can have a private gallery and a public gallery if one chooses. I can see where Epz came up with the Group feature for the forum here, it makes sense if there are thousands of people using the forum, but the numbers on here are such that it wouldn't take many groups to deplete the forum altogether.

There is nowhere on Epz to post photos that aren't public property anymore, even the forums can be linked to other sites easily, all in the name of advertising for the site I realise. However, I'm not prepared to supply images for facebook or twitter, as I've said before, and the only place I post now, is in the forum; I almost never visit the galleries now, spending almost all of my time on Epz in the Forum, and ocassionally a brief visit to the camera and lens review area; I like Joshwa's reviews, they're not over my head.Grin So, as it stands right now, I don't post images anywhere, but as a result of reading this thread, and finally visiting Flickr, I'll be doing more research in that direction.

As I look back over the past 6 - 7 years on here, it seems that there has been less and less incentive to post images on Epz.
Overread 12 4.1k 19 England
5 Sep 2011 7:48PM

Quote:
To go back to the analogy of Tesco/Sainsbury, whilst it might be fine to chat about Tesco while in Sainsburys, if you start shouting and raising placards, you will in all likelihood be asked to vacate the premises. It's all about common sense at the end of the day.

What with all the "compare your receipt with what it would have cost in the other supermarkets" going on I suspect that the supermarkets are already doing a good job of talking about each other in each others shops Wink
CaptivePhotons 17 1.7k 2 England
5 Sep 2011 7:55PM
Who knows, one day we might buy a smartphone and it will have the built in capacity to 'Upload to ePhotozine'

Today Worksop, tomorrow, the world.
JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
5 Sep 2011 7:55PM

Quote:What with all the "compare your receipt with what it would have cost in the other supermarkets"

Who care about that.

When I am in Waitrose, a ten minute walk, I am not the least interested in the fact that "XYZ" price matches that in Tesco, a ten mile car drive away ! !
User_Removed 16 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2011 9:01PM

Quote:whilst it might be fine to chat about Tesco while in Sainsburys, if you start shouting and raising placards, you will in all likelihood be asked to vacate the premises. It's all about common sense at the end of the day.

I think that hits the nail on the head.
ams99 Junior Member 9 65 9 England
5 Sep 2011 9:29PM
I didn't know about this Flikr until now.

Having seen it, i think i'll give it a go Tongue
lobsterboy Plus
16 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2011 9:34PM

Quote:There is nowhere on Epz to post photos that aren't public property anymore

There never was, was there?
Apart from if you create a private album I suppose.
5 Sep 2011 11:01PM
Maybe not Chris, but at least we thought there was. Now people are encouraged to link other members' photos to highly questionable networks.
Overread 12 4.1k 19 England
5 Sep 2011 11:05PM
Stray - far as I know if you link a photo hosted on EPZ galleries to a service like Facebook the terms and conditions of Facebook do not allow them to make a propriety/rights grab at the content because its not being hosted by their services. In fact most websites explicitly disconnect themselves to 3rd party hosted content, often warning that the site contents of 3rd party sites is not theirs nor their responsibility (warnings about this are less common now, but where all the rage at one time).

In short so long as its hosted on EPZ (or another service) the photo comes under that hosts terms and conditions not the site its linked/embedded into. Of course that does nothing to stop such works being viewed and thus (potentially) used by others, however that is the price one pays for exposure of any medium.
5 Sep 2011 11:23PM
My only concern is the principle of someone being able to do it in the first place without my permission. There's an excellent chance nobody would ever want to, but it just sticks in my craw. However, it's a moot point isn't it? Money, money, money, that's the name of the game.
5 Sep 2011 11:25PM
They could link before anyway, its just a new jacket.

Every business has to adapt, modify, move with the times... or it dies...
User_Removed 16 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2011 11:26PM
You put your image on the internet Denny and you've given the whole world permission to view it. If they like it and they want to link to it for their friends to see on their personal website, blog, email or Facebook page they will. They won't ask your permission just as you probably wouldn't ask the permission of somebody to link to their work on the web because you'd see it as being in a public place anyway!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.