Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Flying with camera gear?

Stockczech 14 445 Czech Republic
15 Sep 2007 12:12PM

Quote:If you're flying from any UK airport, then only 1 piece of hand baggage is allowed. Airline staff are normally VERY strict about this

That is my experience also, and I fly on average once a month to Europe.

Quote:I don't beleive that there is a weight restriction on hand baggage, providing it can be easily lifted into the overhead lockers

This varies depending on the airline. eg. Thomson and Ryanair it is 10kg; Easyjet don't seem to have a weight limit, nor do most of the major airlines such as BA.

I've experimented with various combinations - I'm often in Prague for just a couple of days and arrive on an evening flight so don't want to hang around for checked bags anyway. I used to have a Lowepro Stealth 650, which could hold camera gear, a laptop and a change of clothes, but that is just slightly too big and too heavy for the new regulations. I now use a Lowepro Roller that is well within the size limits, and is rarely questioned as it looks just like any other small Roller. I once had it weighed and it was slightly over the 10kgs - I looked pathetic and pointed out that I didn't want to check it in as there were cameras and a computer inside. Got away with it on that occasion!

As far as the OP is concerned, there should be absolutely no problem taking that amount of kit in a smallish camera bag. As has been pointed out the only reason you are likely to have to get it out of the bag is if the person in charge of the x-ray is a fellow photographer Smile

Sheila
billip 16 422 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2007 5:22PM
Am I mistaken, or isn't it the case that, in addition to your carry-on bag, you are also allowed a camera around the neck, which doesn't count towards your baggage allowance ? Or is that an old regulation ?
conrad 16 10.9k 116
19 Sep 2007 5:32PM
Many airlines do not specify that, but do allow it. Others specify it - and do allow it.

(Just read Delta's regulations because I'm flying with them next month, and they clearly specify that you can do that.)

Never heard of anyone not allowing it - specified or not...
mlewis 16 1.5k United Kingdom
19 Sep 2007 6:00PM
Conrad & billip, you normally could take a camera bag/laptop/handbag bag plus your hand luggage on a plane until they changed the rules in the UK. Now if flying from the UK you can only take one bag on board with no exceptions whatever the airline.
stolzy 15 3.8k 7
19 Sep 2007 7:09PM
In the olden days (pre the demolition of WTC) you could take a carry-on bag, a handbag, duty free, a rolled up umbrella, a camera a baby chair and all kinds of other stuff - try that in the UK and see where you end up.
whippetrider 17 465
19 Sep 2007 9:10PM
I just got back from France with FlyBe from Birmingham and no one questioned my bag for size (just within) or weight (well over). My favourite departure lounge pass time is counting the bags people are carrying on. On Monday in BHX around half had 2 and one person had 4 bags, not including the duty free.

I was talking with a guy at Heathrow who was heading out long haul to India on BA and he said he regulrly carries a bag with ticket, books etc with him and keeps all his camera kit including a D2X and 300mm F2.8 in a LowePro belt pack and harness. The airline staff can't see it under a light coat and the secuity staff don't care as long as it goes through the x-ray machine OK.

I have only ever seen one person have a large bag taken off them and this was a long haul flight when it would fit the overhead bin on a 777! It was taken and put in the crew rest area. (777-200ER - more seats, more range and fewer loos!)

Jeff
csurry 19 9.2k 92
19 Sep 2007 9:22PM

Quote:no one questioned my bag for size

Smile

Sorry, that phrase just amused me!
billip 16 422 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2007 1:08PM
Cheryl !

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.