Your chance to win a Nikon Z 50 Camera Kit!

Focus, who is going?

AndyLeslie 11 141 8 Wales
9 Mar 2012 8:57AM
Wandered around Wednesday with MrDennis, both with our EPZ badges on show, but few others spotted and no camera straps proffered. Sad Saw people from Cardiff and a few from Swansea.

Tried out the 5Diii and 1Dx and preferred the latter for its ability to have spot metering on the focus point rather than always dead center on the 5Diii as per my 7D (useful for wildlife). Mind you the first "EOS Expert" I asked on the Canon stand about this feature had no idea what I meant. Sad Fortunately he had a real "EOS Expert" working the background who instantly knew what I was on about. Smile The demo camera / lenses at the top of the stand did not include a 1Dx or 5Diii when I was there.

I was unlucky, too, looking at the Canon printers, because the staff there were all taking a break, it seemed. Epson were much more attentive. Wink

I've often thought that someone could make a fortune at FoI selling precut 40x50cm and 20x16in mounts. I found someone who did mounts, but not AT FoI and told me that they have a website, but don't put prices on it. Welcome to the 1990s.

Bought a monopod from Jacobs and a print carry case which doesn't have a sellers name on it so can't say from who, would have liked to buy a studio flash kit but the Jacobs chappie told me that theirs were pretty ropey, so I left that.

I also laughed my head off at the coffee stands trying to sell a bacon roll for 5 - by the time I saw it the untouched pile of bacon looked older than me! Marginally crispier, too.

No real bargains - "show price" for Epson ink cartridges (Flamingo) was more expensive than I had paid the week before on the web. By a factor of 2. Camera bodies weren't too awful, 7D was 999, a mere 250 more than can be found online. This was apparently a "last day reduction" from 1299. Tongue

A few stands with models, some of whom I have seen at previous FOI shows, but I am pleased to report that scantily clad men in swimming trunks and fake tans seemed to be missing this year. Grin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cattyal Plus
15 9.1k 6 England
9 Mar 2012 9:19AM

Quote: but I am pleased to report that scantily clad men in swimming trunks and fake tans seemed to be missing this year. Grin

I did see one - he had carrier bags wrapped round him forming a 'skirt' rather than the usual trunks - I'm afraid it didn't 'do it' for me ...... Smile
AndyLeslie 11 141 8 Wales
9 Mar 2012 9:27AM
I could never work out what they were selling, especially as they seemed very cold.
cattyal Plus
15 9.1k 6 England
9 Mar 2012 9:42AM

Quote:I could never work out what they were selling, especially as they seemed very cold.

Insurance I seem to recall and as I work for a brokers I can organise my own Smile Yep - it's warm at the NEC but not that warm Smile
kaybee 16 7.2k 26 Scotland
9 Mar 2012 10:22AM
Hmmmm ............ I am in the market for camera insurance.
What sort of deal can you do Alison?
cattyal Plus
15 9.1k 6 England
9 Mar 2012 10:34AM

Quote:Hmmmm ............ I am in the market for camera insurance.
What sort of deal can you do Alison?

Well depends on what you want/need - of course mine is covered under my household insurance being a non-professional Smile
Ade_Osman 17 4.5k 36 England
9 Mar 2012 7:46PM
Went on Wednesday with wifey in tow, spent a small fortune, didn't see Ali, so missed out on my gonad kicking (most disappointed), didn't see Tricia either, even more disappointed....... Been busy ever since and still am.......But I'm of to annoy the Welsh tomorrow in search of Hares....

Ade Tongue
cattyal Plus
15 9.1k 6 England
9 Mar 2012 10:11PM
Shame - I had my big kicking boots on as well Smile
Ade_Osman 17 4.5k 36 England
10 Mar 2012 6:50AM

Quote:I had my big kicking boots on as well

Oh bugger.......Now I'm really frigged off and disappointed.....Sad

Ade Tongue
gwynn56 8 87 England
10 Mar 2012 7:43AM
perhaps you have better luck next year Grin
cattyal Plus
15 9.1k 6 England
10 Mar 2012 9:00AM
I can but hope Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.