Change gear with our partner, MPB

Focus is coming - so time for a new bag (again) for my 5D

27 Jan 2009 12:24AM
Some suggestions please before Focus - so I can shop if the price is right. (I seem to buy a new bag every year & end up selling one during the year).
I have several bags, main being a CCS Freedom4 backpack & a Lowepro Reporter 300 - but both are too big for just a simple "day bag" to carry camera/lens + spare lens.
I have looked at a range of backpacks such as the Lowepro Slingshot 100/200 but they are too small for my 5D with grip & 24-105L attached plus space for another lens - they doesn't have enough depth - & the 300 is just as big as my CCS. I like the idea of 'sling' style so I don't have to keep taking bag off to get at kit.
Anyone share some thoughts or suggestions please - esp. whether sling-style actually works.
Thanks.
Overread 13 4.1k 19 England
27 Jan 2009 12:35AM
the sling style bags I think you still need to take the bag off to get at kit inside - though I think many have a quick access gap for getting the camera and attached lens out. Might be a shoulder bag is more what you need
IanA 18 3.0k 12 England
27 Jan 2009 7:11AM

Quote:I think you still need to take the bag off to get at kit inside

Oh no you don't!
They work quite well and take a couple of spare lenses as well. Smile Got a hardly used one upstairs if you're interested!

Ian Smile
sidaorb 15 3.9k 2 England
27 Jan 2009 8:06AM
Just a little word of advice, one of the monthly mags was giving away a rather nice bag last year if you took out a years subscription, so might be worth waiting to see what comes out with the promo vouchers.
27 Jan 2009 8:11AM
Just checked on the Focus site, Photography Monthly are giving away a Lowepro again this year with subscriptions.
csurry 19 9.2k 92
27 Jan 2009 8:13AM

Quote:Just checked on the Focus site, Photography Monthly are giving away a Lowepro again this year with subscriptions.

Really that surprises me - I heard a lot of people cancelled the subscription after walking away with the bag. Seems like the marketing department has not learnt their lesson Smile
27 Jan 2009 8:18AM
Maybe in this climate a few is better than none and although the RRP on the bag is 90, it probably only retails for 40 so not sure how much they would pay for it.
SteveCharles 18 2.3k 18 England
27 Jan 2009 9:33AM
I have a slingshot 300, and don't really get on with it. It's ok, but I don't think the sling idea works as well as intended, and gets my nerves after a while. Yes it works in that you can take your camera in and out without taking the bag off, but start looking for anything else or changing lenses and it's as awkward as any other rucksack. Not much room for anything other than camera gear, either. I don't know if the smaller versions are any easier.

Thing is, I know exactly what I want but can't find the right bag anywhere, it's become my biggest bugbear. I want a discrete bag that doesn't look like a camera bag. I saw this range advertised recently, which is about the closest I've seen to my ideal bag, although the only UK stockest, Teamwork, doesn't have them on their site, and neither Teamwork or Tenba appear to be at Focus...
conrad 17 10.9k 116
27 Jan 2009 10:03AM
I have a Slingshot and I know exactly what you mean. Your objection to the Slingshot is exactly what might make me buy another bag some day.

One that I've looked at, and which I really like, is the Lowepro Primus AW - it has the advantages of a backpack, and the advantages of the Slingshot, but not the disadvantages. It is in effect a backpack with added quick access options - two different ones: have a look at Alternative views 6 and 7!

Also, it's made from recycled materials and part of the proceeds go to a Polar Bear fund, so you get to feel good about buying it as well! Smile
simwra 12 64 England
27 Jan 2009 10:53PM
What about the Kata 3in1 range?
27 Jan 2009 11:31PM
Thanks for all the comments - I am happy with my shoulder & backpacks when I am carrying "everything", but it's when I am travelling light & want an easy access bag I am stuck - but the problem I have is the 5D with grip is around 16cm (6+" in old money) tall & most small bags - whether sling or flip or other - cannot cope. To be 'hands-free' I want it to be a back-pack style (often I have bino's & may have to do some scree scrambling).
I will have a look at the primus & Kata's in the flesh & see if there is a small enough yet large enough model @ Focus.

Thanks again
ARI 18 586 1 United Kingdom
31 Jan 2009 10:31AM
What are dates. Assume that it is in the NEC at B'ham.
Rob_Taylor 17 661 5 Wales
31 Jan 2009 1:58PM
Steve,
http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.asp?i=19267
might be what you are looking for.
Just released by Lowepro, fancy one myself.

Rob
SteveCharles 18 2.3k 18 England
31 Jan 2009 2:23PM
That does look good... thanks a lot. More stylish (as in plainer) than the Tenba.
31 Jan 2009 4:57PM
ARI - 22 - 25th Feb @ NEC
Brian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.