Focus Stacking.

Ray12 Plus
7 154 1 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2020 2:28PM
Besides Photo shop, are there any other programs that do "focus stacking"

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tianshi_angie 5 2.8k England
15 Jan 2020 2:53PM
The one that I remember most people using was Helicon. I've never used it but it seems to be popular.
Ray12 Plus
7 154 1 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2020 2:55PM
Thank you angie.
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
15 Jan 2020 3:32PM
Helicon Focus, Zerene, Affinity Photo... plenty of others, some good some bad and it depends a lot on what you are stacking, i.e macro, landscape etc.

Personally I use Helicon Focus, mainly because I was a beta tester, but my colleague swore by Zerene which I tried but could not get on with.
saltireblue Plus
9 10.3k 52 Norway
15 Jan 2020 3:54PM

Quote:Helicon Focus, Zerene, Affinity Photo... plenty of others, some good some bad and it depends a lot on what you are stacking, i.e macro, landscape etc.

Personally I use Helicon Focus, mainly because I was a beta tester, but my colleague swore by Zerene which I tried but could not get on with.

Phil - do you have one you feel is particulary good for stacking macros? I am not that happy with how PS CC is doing it...
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
15 Jan 2020 4:18PM
Yes, my preference is for Helicon Focus, I find it easier to use than Zerene, it produces good results from a wide range of subjects with a choice of three methods, I also use Helicon remote to control my motorised rail.
saltireblue Plus
9 10.3k 52 Norway
15 Jan 2020 4:43PM

Quote:Yes, my preference is for Helicon Focus, I find it easier to use than Zerene, it produces good results from a wide range of subjects with a choice of three methods, I also use Helicon remote to control my motorised rail.

Many thanks, Phil...I'll have a look at that later.Smile
Minty805 Plus
3 33 6 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2020 5:18PM
I've used Affinity Photo for that and found it very effective.
saltireblue Plus
9 10.3k 52 Norway
15 Jan 2020 5:56PM

Quote:I've used Affinity Photo for that and found it very effective.

Thanks, Allan...I'll try Helicon first as it's a dedicated stacking program and I don't really want to have yet another full-blown lump of image editing software on my machine...
Dave_Canon Plus
13 1.6k United Kingdom
15 Jan 2020 6:54PM
I use Helicon remote to control my camera and capture the images but did not buy Helicon Focus though believe it is good. Instead I have been using "Combine ZP" which is free. It is not perfect but I have found it to be successful. I was aware that I could have used PS and did use PS last time. PS has clearly improved significantly with the current version so I expect to use PS routinely from now on.

Dave
saltireblue Plus
9 10.3k 52 Norway
15 Jan 2020 7:11PM

Quote:I use Helicon remote to control my camera and capture the images but did not buy Helicon Focus though believe it is good. Instead I have been using "Combine ZP" which is free. It is not perfect but I have found it to be successful. I was aware that I could have used PS and did use PS last time. PS has clearly improved significantly with the current version so I expect to use PS routinely from now on.

Dave

I find PS hit and miss - sometimes it gives great results, other times it's only good for the bin.
Ray12 Plus
7 154 1 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2020 9:23PM
Hi Philh04.
It will be mainly for landscape.
Ray12 Plus
7 154 1 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2020 9:26PM
How much does one have to pay for "Helicon focus?
JJGEE 15 7.7k 18 England
15 Jan 2020 9:44PM
Check out the various packages / prices
Helicon Focus

There is also a 30 free trial
capto Plus
7 6.1k 15 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2020 3:20PM
I have both PS and Affinity....sometimes Affinity does a better job than PS.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.